Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to get my game plan together for refinishing my engine, transmission, and all brackets and hardware. Here are my questions and ideas. Please make suggestions as to what's the right way and finish's to use to make it the way it should be to be correct. Note - the engine and trans run great but visually need some help.

1) Should the engine be painted once assembled on an engine strand or should I pull the heads, pan, water pump, etc.... and paint the components separately. I'm not looking for the easiest way. I am looking to do it the best way and most correct. The reason I think it may need to be painted disassembled, is because I'm not sure if the head, intake, valve cover and water pump bolts were originally painted blue or did they have a plating like zinc?

2) What to do to the transmission case? I'm thinking I should just de-grease and then wire wheel it to get a clean finish. Is there any product like a clear coat that should be applied over the aluminum case to keep it from oxidizing???

3) Distributor, Fuel Pump, and other raw cast pieces. How to get them looking like new. Should I just wire wheel them and paint them silver????

The next three pics are what I have and the last image is the quality I am trying to achieve. Thanks in advance for advice on what finishes should be applied to the components.

P

·
0 Posts
Paint the engine once it is assembled. If you really want to do it right and have it last, materials other than spray bombs should be used. Do you have any spray painting equipment?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paint the engine once it is assembled. If you really want to do it right and have it last, materials other than spray bombs should be used. Do you have any spray painting equipment?
I have a home shop with spray booth. Again I'm not looking for the easiest or simplest. I'm looking for a quality finished product.

·
Registered
35,272 Posts
IIRC, Ford painted the engines as an assembly, less brackets, oil pan and valve covers, which were painted separately. Finish on the valve cover and oil pan bolts was "natural".

P

·
0 Posts
To have an engine that holds it's paint well, here is what I do. I remove as much paint as I can. Wire brush, sand, power wash etc. Any bare spots I treat with phosphoric acid. I then prime with epoxy. This is an important part of having great adhesion. Then spray the color. You spray the color as a wet-on-wet application with teh epoxy. No prep on the epoxy is needed. The difference in longevity is obviously when you do it this way.

·
Registered
853 Posts
IIRC, Ford painted the engines as an assembly, less brackets, oil pan and valve covers, which were painted separately. Finish on the valve cover and oil pan bolts was "natural".
uh, that is not quite correct. pans & valve covers that were block color were painted after installation, bolts too. the only v/c's with natural bolts were the chrome hi-po's & cobra & boss styles.

·
Registered
822 Posts
+1 on painting assembled including oil pan and valve covers, which includes the short 90 degree water pump bypass hose which was on the engine before being painted at the factory. The exhaust manifolds were also on and received some overspray. There are a lot of little details, and based on your question it sounds like you want go that route.

There will be some conflicting options when you consider the terms you used - "the right way", "most correct" (both of which imply a Concours path) and the term "quality" (which could be interpreted as something durable in light of the clear coat question on the transmission).

A pure Concours restoration would be, to the best of your ability and knowledge based on research, exactly as the factory did it. This means no clear coats, and a wide variety of finishes, not all having a long term durable (in terms of looks) result.

Some will decide to stray from exact Concours as it makes sense to them and their application, such as applying some sort of finish on the exhaust manifolds to prevent rust.

You might want to post these types of questions in the Concours area, it should result in more focused replies, assuming that it lines up with your goals.

For the transmission, many find it best to use things like oxy-clean and an easy-off type oven cleaner. Make notes and take pictures of any paint markings since you might decide to reproduce them.

For things like the fuel pump and distributor, they each originally had multiple finishes. They are each an assembly of multiple components, with components each having specific finishes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts