Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Detailing underside of 69 mach 1

2838 8
I have a 69 Mach 1 that I am trying to keep it as original as possible, given it has 28k original miles. The paint, interior, and engine bay are mostly original and near new. My problem is the underside. There is absolutely no rot, but it is dirty, as well as surface rust from driving. The Ford primer is still evident above the drive shaft as well.

I was thinking about wire brushing the entire underside and painting it to make it look as clean as the top of the car. First, should I even do this or does it take away from the originality?

I have found the detail list for the rear end, leaf spinngs and other componets, as far as colors, but not sure what the floor pans and major underside should be.

Thanks,
Tony
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
With only 28k miles, you should be trying to preserve the car. If you wire brush the underside and restore it, the car will lose a huge amount of intrinsic value and also monetary value. Your goal with this car should be to preserve, not to restore.

· Registered
3,052 Posts
i would pressure wash the bottom and spray so,e ospho to remove surface rust then tinse and dry and either slear the bare metal areas or try to match them to existing paint primer patterns on the car!

G

·
i would pressure wash the bottom and spray so,e ospho to remove surface rust then tinse and dry and either slear the bare metal areas or try to match them to existing paint primer patterns on the car!
No disrespect, but that's a good way to ruin a lot of original details on a low mileage undercarriage. The undercarriage needs to be treated just like the engine bay. Slowly clean areas a little at a time. Some parts won't come clean and look like new. The best thing to do in that case is clean them the best you can and then preserve them with an oil or wax coating.

· Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information. When you say to oil it, or wax it, any recommendations on what types of wax, or oil?

As far as cleaning the underside would the following be correct:
1. Degrease/clean it to remove road debris using a soft brush?
2. Remove any loose stuff, such as loose surface rust, or loose paint?
3. Would the oil/wax also apply to the front end components, such as the idler arm, etc?

Thanks for your guidance.
Tony

· Registered
3,052 Posts
non taken but now lets discuss this, i have not shown my cars very often, however i have been at every all-ford nationals for years, as well as the turkey rod run and several other shows, i have attened the MCA nationals on more than one occassion, and i know your a judge i have NEVER had any judge look under my car in any way shape or form i have NEVER SEEN a judge inspect under a car in any way shape or form, the most i have ever seen a judge do was use a mirror that extends to look at the bottom of rockers and also run there fingers on the lips of the wheel wheels ( i assume making sure the outer wheel houses are correct.

that being said i stick by my opinion as it wont change his cars points standing, and will no way cause the car harm it will preserve and PROTECT the underside of the car.

like i said your a judge im not so im sure you know a lot more about this, this is just my .02 cents

and flying purple will get that underside sparkiling clean!

G

·
If he shows it in the MCA Unrestored class, there will be considerable time spent judging the undercarriage. This is much different than all Ford Nationals at Carlisle and the Turkey Run. At the MCA show you mention, you probably had your car in one of the street driven classes where the undercarriage is not judged. In Concours, Unrestored and T-bred, the judging sheets are about 10-13 pages long. We check everything from leaf springs to brake hoses. In Unrestored, we would expect only original parts that might show some wear. He would lose points for cleanliness if he didn't clean the undercarriage.

Even if he doesn't show the car, with only 28k miles on a Mach 1, it's worth the extra effort to try and preserve as much as possible. Pressure washing will most definitely blow away loose seam sealer, possibly damage original primer and paint overspray and remove paint/chalk markings on various components.

It's only the fact that the car has low mileage that I take this stance. When one lasts this long with low mileage, the car deserves to continue to be preserved in it's original condition.

· Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the information. When you say to oil it, or wax it, any recommendations on what types of wax, or oil?

As far as cleaning the underside would the following be correct:
1. Degrease/clean it to remove road debris using a soft brush being cautious not to remove any paint daps or markings?
2. Remove any loose stuff, such as loose surface rust, or loose paint?
3. Would the oil/wax also apply to the front end components, such as the idler arm, etc?

Thanks for your guidance.
Tony

G

·
There's some spray wax available at the autoparts stores, I believe Meguiar's is one of the brands. This should work on most of the underside. For oil, soak a rag in motor oil and use it on parts, lightly wipe off excess. The parts will attract dust, but it's better than having exposed metal. Mike Murray has done a lot of this type of work on his Unrestored cars, you might contact him and ask what he's used. His VMF id is mgmradio

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.