Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is plenty of tread left on my tires, but the whitewalls are starting to show some cracking. Are there any detailing products that will cover this up? I couldn't find anything at the local auto parts store.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Yes the Westleys is great for white wall and white letters.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
From the tire guy....sounds like a really old tire if it's cracking. Check the last 3 or 4 digits of the DOT number and let us know what they are. If the sidewall is showing some cracking, you are best NOT to run the tire, regardless of the tread.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Plain ole SOS pads always kept my white walls clean. I'm going to check into this whestley's stuff though. Thanks.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
showstang said:
From the tire guy....sounds like a really old tire if it's cracking. Check the last 3 or 4 digits of the DOT number and let us know what they are. If the sidewall is showing some cracking, you are best NOT to run the tire, regardless of the tread.
The tire sidewall itself is not cracking or dry rotted. Only the narrow whitewalls are showing black cracks. The tires are Lee Steel Traks. I never heard of them until I bought the car. Maybe Lee's process for applying or molding (or whatver they do to put the whitewall on the tire) isn't too robust?

Vince

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Lee is a private brand of one of the larger manufacturers. OK, I misunderstood your original point about the cracking. If it's only in the whitewall package, you should be ok. The black sidewall is what you want to watch out for. I clean whitewalls with a plain old SOS pad. It should get most of the discoloration out of the white sidewall. Good luck.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This thread is a little stale now, but I learned a couple of things. First of all, my whitewalls are not cracking. What I was really looking at was tire dressing the PO had applied that had spun out from the center of the tire into the whitewalls so that it looked like thin little black cracks. Looks like they will clean up fine with some elbow grease.

The second thing was that if your whitewalls or white letters need more than elbow grease, there are some products out there. Check out True Choice (http://www.truechoice.com/products.asp?dept=1289) for tire markers and tire paint pens.

Vince

1 - 10 of 10 Posts