Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have heard all sorts of ways to do this, but I need to know how to determine for sure the gear ratio on a third member. Do I count the teeth on the big ring and divide by the number on the small one...or what?
Your help is appreciated.
Don K

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
If the rear end was on the car you would block the tires, put the car in neutral and jack up one rear wheel. put a chalk mark on the bottom of the tire where you can see it laying under the car and a chalk mark on the drive shaft. Count howm any times you turn the driveshaft for the wheel to go around one time. You get the same thing. 2.70 times the drive shaft goes round to one on the wheel.

G

·
That is almost right. You must turn BOTH rear tires one full turn together,at the same time, while counting the drive shaft revolutions. This is of course if you're checking an open rear end. (non-posi, or trac-loc)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
If you jack up one rear wheel and turn the drive shaft, does that wheel turn 1/2 as fast or twice as fast as if both wheel turned equally due to the side gears in a standard differential?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
one wheel will tend to be dominant and do all the spinning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts