Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for opinions before ordering one or the other. Car is 8 inch rear I m useing because I m only going to be at or barely over 300hp, when I freshen the engine next winter. Currently the rear is a factory Fords Ls I m not happy with. I loove to cruise the car, want to go to Woodward and such events in the near future. 1/4 mile stuff not so much maybe once a season. I want the car to not do 1 wheel peels esp. when turning a little. I d like it to be broadside if stabbed in a turn, not blow the right tire off, not impressive. I d like to get away from Ls additive in a way for maintenance reasons so truetrac has a plus there. Some noise does not bother me if it works and keeps the rear wheels together. I will never run slicks on the car period. Thanks for any and all advise, I ve had a lot of Ford Ls this is my first after market carrier.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I used a 8" lim slip Auburn on a my past project and it worked well. My current project I ordered a 8" clutch style cone limited slip carrier. I was told it is rebuildable and a Auburn isn't? So I would love to know which is the best option as well???

·
Registered
353 Posts
Personally I see no reason ever to run a friction diff when there's a helical torque-biasing diff available at a reasonable price.

There may be applications in which the friction diff is superior, the offroaders think the Truetrac is fragile and don't like that it goes open when unloaded, but that's a specialized application and they wouldn't have much use for something like the Auburn either.

It doesn't sound like you're into tracking the car, in a road-course application you need to consider that a torque-biasing diff may feel a little 'looser' than a friction diff and you may need to tweak your chassis setup accordingly.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thanks Jem. You pretty much echo what I ve been thinking. Im tired of mouse milk additive at service time. Esp a vehical that sits and draws moisture and needs serviced a little more often.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
I run a TrueTrac in my car. 550-600hp with a 5 speed and no issues. I haven't had it on the drag strip yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts