Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in North Central WV and spent the week with 22 boy scouts in southern WV. We were on the northern edge of the storm path and the amount of rain was unbelievable. Thursday night the road into the camp was completely washed out: under about 5 feet of water and just gone. The storm and amount of rain completely soaked all the boys and everything we have.

The camp got us permission to take down a fence and go through a neighbors field to a cabin. From there, after cutting and removing several trees and one huge oak tree we made it to the main road and headed north out of the path of destruction. We tried to leave at 5pm and made it home (normally about 2.5 hrs) at 1:30am. Needless to say the kids were scared, wet and tired and the parents very relieved when we pulled in.

The levels of destruction have been unreal. Whole towns under 8 feet of water and roads completely washed away. So far, 20 people have died and many more missing. My wifes hometown is demolished. It is very near the Greenbrier Resort and I've already seen that the PGA event to be held there in 2 weeks has been cancelled.

These areas are already experiencing very tough times with the decline in coal production. Now people have lost everything. The pictures and stories of rescues and parents losing their children have become overwhelming. The stories of the aid from communities pouring in is heartwarming.

West Virginians are a proud bunch and we take care of our own. No riots, no looting and lots of people rallying to help out. One of the many reasons why I have never left. Anyway, if you are the praying type, there are lots of people who could use it right now.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I used to go on an annual golf trip to The Homestead in Virginia and have been to the Greenbrier area on numerous occasions while on those trips. Such a beautiful part of our country and the people are so nice and welcoming.

Seeing the destruction it is just beyond belief. My thoughts and prayers for your fellow West Virginians.

·
Registered
10 Posts
WV here also. Luckily not in any affected area. Very heartwarming to see the outpouring of support from fellow WV'ians. There's not a drop of bleach in any store in the Charleston area. One of the only times its nice to see empty shelves. Prayers to all.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Was this a freak storm or something? Or is it just an area prone to flooding/heavy rain? Anyway I send my thoughts and prayers with those less fortunate right now.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,583 Posts
I think it's totally insane that this has been going on all week and it hasn't been on the news really very much at all. Hope everyone stays safe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts