Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or did they use a special distribution block? I ask because i have still not figured out my new brake setup yet. The fronts are 70 discs and the rear is a 70 9in. I have a non-power front disc maverick MC, and all I need to figure out is the prop valve situation. If I can just put a distribution block in from a 69 or 70, that would simplify things I think. Thanks all!

·
Registered
348 Posts
69 and 70 power disc brake Mustangs have a proportioning valve. The 69 valve is a little different from the 70 version. These valves are available on eBay.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
What KMCBOSS said, although I didn't know that '69's were different from '70's (they'll interchange, though). The Proportioning valve is the "torepdo type" that goes into the line comming out of the distribution block.

I'm using a '69 distribution block, MC, booster and proportioning valve with '70 disk brakes.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
In 69 Ford made the proportioning valve external to the distribution block and plumbed in series with the block, per JohnPro's posting. In 70 Ford internallized the proportioning valve into the distribution block. It is very difficult to find a 69 proportioning valve as they are not reproduced. To my knowledge, from a functional standpoint the 69 and 70 prop. valve/dist. block are interchangeable as between the years (69 on a 70 car, 70 on a 69 car.)

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Believe that the 68 and 69 disc brake plumbing, with dist block and prop valve are similar, if not the same. My 68 has a 3" long 5/8" diameter prop valve. plumbed in below the dist block. An SSBrake adjustable fit right in with no mods so am using that as original needs rebuild. FYI: Rebuild kit is available at Branda's.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The 68-69 set up is almost identical using the same type of distribution block along with the cylindrical proportioning valve. The 1970 and newer ones had the proportioning valve built into the distribution block. That’s the way an original car would have it but anything is possible when you take into effect that the cars are now 36-37 years old. People tend to replace parts with what’s available and not with what’s 100% correct for the year.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
There was also a proportioning valve that was a replacement part from Ford. It looks more like a block of brass with a port at say 12:00 and one at 3:00.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Made a mistake as you can see in the picture that this replacement part is also a straight through design.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/671000-671999/671062_81_full.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts