Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some previous owner put these huge like 4” quad exhaust tips on, which looked gaudy enough, but in addition the right pipes were way offset from where they should have been.

I’ve always loved the ‘67 GT valance with exhaust cutouts so I had a new valance paint matched and had some exhaust work done over the weekend. Also installed a fresh rear bumper to replace the one the previous owner used to back into something ?

Before and after pics attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
1,120 Posts
Much better, my exhaust exists look the same.

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
VERY clean and subtle, looks the way Ford intended and the way it should. Well done.

Reactions: uncomfortablynumb

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Big improvement, great choice with the cut out valance. Nice car.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Looks a LOT better!
I like the double tips tucked in the way you did, it's subtle and you don't see it done this way very often.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
IMO, it's not the size of the tips but that they are hanging down below the valance and out too far. Tucked up into the correct valance they wouldn't look so "added on"

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Looks 10 times better...never have been a fan of exhaust tips bigger than the actual pipes(they serve no purpose), also they always look better tucked up into the valance. Too bad for 65-66 models the only choice is actual holes in the valance(which doesn't look as good as partial cutouts like yours)

·
Premium Member
5,335 Posts
mucho better
My 68 had the quad tips stock.
When I got rear-ended in my 67 back in the early 80's, I could not get to Ford fast enough and buy the GT valance and quad tips. One of the best things I ever did to that car.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,516 Posts
Nice choice, & very nice looking Mustang. Those are the same exhaust tips I am going to be using on my 69 Coupe.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Looks 10 times better...never have been a fan of exhaust tips bigger than the actual pipes(they serve no purpose), also they always look better tucked up into the valance. Too bad for 65-66 models the only choice is actual holes in the valance(which doesn't look as good as partial cutouts like yours)
I know many folks don't want to cut their sheet metal, but since mine is just a HiPo, I cut a couple of semi-circles to fit the 2 1/2" tailpipes. No exhaust on the car right now, so pics wouldn't be much help. It looks good and the rear valance can be replaced if necessary. I'm not a fan of the GT holes/style.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I know many folks don't want to cut their sheet metal, but since mine is just a HiPo, I cut a couple of semi-circles to fit the 2 1/2" tailpipes. No exhaust on the car right now, so pics wouldn't be much help. It looks good and the rear valance can be replaced if necessary. I'm not a fan of the GT holes/style.
Haha, you are talking to the wrong person if you think I am one hesitant to hack up my car...I look for any excuse to pull out my grinder and welder. For some reason I didn't even think to do that myself though....thanks...I do have a spare 66 rear valance I can use to do this(though maybe I should buy a new one...I hesitate to hack up an OEM piece in as good as shape as that one is) although I would want to bead roll the edge of the semicircle(or lacking a bead roller manually shape the semi-circle to look like the 67 version)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys! I am pretty impressed with the fit of the valance. It was $38 from CJPP and I had it painted a few months ago when I changed the hood and needed to have the new one paint matched and it didn't add a whole lot of $$ to the total paint bill.

Super happy with the clean, more original look. I've actually had 2 people in the last couple of days tell me randomly that they like the look of the rear and exhaust. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Those big tips need a wing to round things out.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
69 Posts
Great look! I too am a fan of the quad pipes. I added reproduction HIPO cast manifolds and aftermarket GT350 dual exhaust to my formerly single exhaust C code. It really did wake her up. IMHO "you did the right thing". Keep Cruisin'!

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
Nicely done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts