Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. I saw a very original 68 GT390 convertible on Ebay and it didn't have a factory tach. It was also a 4 spd. car.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
According to the dealer brochure and the facts/specs manual the tachometer
was an option. Not part of the GT package regardless of transmission.
It's not unusual for literature to be less than 100% correct so :shrug:

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
vamustang said:
Standard with 4spd cars and optional on Autos

Best wishes, Chris
I know that this was true for 428CJ cars in 1968 and 69 (not in 70).

Don't know about 390s.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
As I recall the posted question was tach on 390GT with 4 speed. The 428CJ was a late
addition for '68 and not shown in the the '68 literature that I have. Since the
question was about a 390 4 speed with no tach I think the answer seems to be it
didn't come standard on his car.

G

·
0 Posts
slim said:
It's not unusual for literature to be less than 100% correct so :shrug:
I wouldn't consider the dealer brochure anything more than a novelty item.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
So I guess the question remains Charles. Maybe you can point to a definitive answer.
Was tach standard on 390GT 4 speed?

·
Registered
248 Posts
My 68, 390, 4sp, Gt, dlx int, car came with an 8 grand tach. The tach is not listed on my marti report as an option so I guess it was standard equipment.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I feel like a poorly informed referee! I'm interested in the factory tach
because I installed a tach/deluxe cluster on my vert. Someday the next owner may
assume it was standard on '68 289 automatic verts because mine has one and Marti report
doesn't list it! :shrug:

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I thought only the 68 428 CJ 4 speed cars were standard equipped with the tach, every other V8 permutation came with standard gauges unless tach was ticked ("tick tach" - ouch, sorry) on the option sheet.
I didn't know that 67 390 4 speed came standard with a tach.
Find out stuff every day!

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Tach wasn't part of the GT option.

67 and 68 S-code 4spd cars should have a 6K tach dash instrument cluster. The tach could be ordered as a seperate option for Automatic cars and for any small block A and C code cars. 428 and 67 K-code cars should have a 8K tach. I have had several S-code cars and all the Marti reports confirmed this for me.... I hope this helps.. someone may prove me wrong ??

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
'68's got the 8k, not the 6k. 8k tach was standard equipment on a '68 S code w/4speed. Other than that a separate option, not part of the GT package (otherwise GT autos would have had them too....)

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Best I can tell when I bought my unrestored '67 "S" code GT 4spd vert it came with the tach, (in rough shape like rest of car) but there. I seem to recall a mag article years ago in either Mustang Monthly or Mustang Illustrated on "GT" cars (I may still have this mag somewhere) that in '67 for sure a 390 4spd GT got the tach as standard equip. All other combo's it was an option. I just looked on my build sheet and "tach" is checked off however on my elite Marti report a tach is NOT mentioned just "GT Equip Group" listed. Hope this helps '67 owners at least, '68 as we know had rolling Ford cutbacks so changes are possible for sure.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Sharp looking car sixtyseven. The reason it is NOT listed on your Elite marti is because it came standard with your 4spd. Proving my point. For 68 it was the same scenario and NOT part of the GT pkg. 67 and 68 S-code 4speeds came with a 6K tach only NOT 8K. Could there be a car out there with something different?? sure... but what is the history of the car, is the 8K tach listed on the Marti ? perhaps a special order... who knows... but of the hundreds of S-code I have seen they ALL had 6K tachs. Believe what you want.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Thanks VAMUSTANG. It's my belief (and just that) in '67 only 289 HiPo cars got 8K tach as they're higher revving, the rest got 6K as mine does have. Then in '68 all got the 8K tach perhaps to make the assem line process easy. NOT sure what Shelby's got if different. Now could there have been leftover inventory at diff plants to use up to mess up my thnking, sure. Could I be wrong, sure. Just my .02

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Nope, I have owned around 30 68 S-codes and ALL had 6K tachs... 390's aren't high revving engines. 68 1/2 R-codes did get the 8K tach. Just think about it, it wouldn't make sense. One thing about Mustangs there seems to always be a few exceptions... No sense beating a dead horse or arguing about it. You are correct about the 67 K-codes.

I love the tri-power on yours !

1 - 20 of 26 Posts