Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
George, I agree with what you said. Perhaps this discussion should be on the concours
forum. Seems to me the question is did a particular '67 or '68, Mustang come from the factory
with a tach (deluxe cluster),and if so would it have been a 6K or 8K?
There seems to be evidence that the deluxe tach cluster doesn't show on a Marti report
because it came with some combination of what was ordered. On other Mustangs it would show
on the report because lets say a 289 2V automatic would only logically have it because the customer ordered it!
Seems to me what came on a '67 or later Mustang from the factory should not be a matter of faith
or speculation based on what we've seen. If for example 10 out of 10 390GT 4 speeds I've seen
have an 8K tach that doesn't prove it came standard with that combination.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Still can't help on the original question.

My 68 R-code vert came with an automatic and it has the tach. According to common knowledge the tach should have been optional and sure enough it is on the Marti report as an option.

Whereas the Marti report for manual transmission 1968 R-codes does not list the tach even though the cars came with one. Thus it was part of the package.

G

·
0 Posts
Keep in mind that '68 GT350/GT500 cars also received an 8k tach and 140 mph speedo. The non-Shelby CJ cars with a tach just got the normal 120mph speedo.

Agree with vastang about the 6k tachs on 390 cars.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Charles. If this question was on the concours forum is there a definitve answer?
IMHO Shelby Mustangs are a separate issue. I know I'm out of place. Don't have a concours
Mustang much less a GT or Shelby. Guess I'm an out of line VMFr. I retrofitted my
'68 with a 6K deluxe tach cluster because an 8K tach is rediculous for a 289 2V low
reving engine. The only 6K factyory tach I could find is a '67!

·
Registered
298 Posts
My wife's 68 GT S code 4 speed has the 6k tach and as far as we know it is original to the car.
David.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tach wasn't part of the GT option.

67 and 68 S-code 4spd cars should have a 6K tach dash instrument cluster. The tach could be ordered as a seperate option for Automatic cars and for any small block A and C code cars. 428 and 67 K-code cars should have a 8K tach. I have had several S-code cars and all the Marti reports confirmed this for me.... I hope this helps.. someone may prove me wrong ??
I am presently in possession of a 1968 mustang gt fastback, 390 4-spd, bench seat, std interior with red comfortweave seats, 8000 rpm tach. Marti report does not show as an option nor does the window sticker. But they both show the GT Equipment Group. Bought car from the original owner who ordered it right from the factory and never touched anything but a new radiator. Power frt disc brakes were a REQUIRED option with the 390 gt equipment group. Hope that helps someone.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts