Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking at Mustangs on -- yup -- and I came across a low milage version of my car (minus the folddown rear seat). It is a 69 Sportroof with a 302 2v with a 3 speed manual trans. Item number 1837953212, for those that are interested.

This car has a hood scoop with the integrated turn signals. They claim 100% originality (I guess they missed the radiator cap). I do not see this as an option on the invoice. So, this makes me wonder was the scoop standard equipment ? If it was then my car is missing something.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
What's an adjustable rear window? First time I've heard that.

G

·
0 Posts
Not all of them came with a Hood scoop. It may have been possible that the original owner had ordered it that way or had it put on later.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think they were refering to the rear quarter windows. I think this was the first year that Ford offered windows like that. Of course, the only adjustment is open and closed. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
the hood scoop was only standard on the Mach 1. The scoop could be ordered, if I recall, with one of the many "packages" that Ford offered with the Mustang for 1969. If it is a true hood-scooped hood (meaning it has the cutouts in the rear of the hood for the recessed turn signal indicators in the scoop itself), then it is most probable original to the car. Of course the only "real" way to tell, is to find the original build sheet or get the Marti report which lists everything ordered for that particular car....

randy

G

·
0 Posts
No not all Sportsroofs had scoops. They could have been ordered. Also there was a Spring "value" exterior appearance package that included The scoop Racing Mirrors Pinstripes and whitewalls. All this was supposed to come at a good price. So with that being said many of the spring Mustangs will have the scoop.

Don

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So this leads me to believe that there would be something on the invoice that would hint to the fact that a scoop may have been installed at the factory.

Do you think that a dealer would install one and it would not appear on the invoice ? It probably wouldn't be painted body color.

G

·
0 Posts
Yes if you have that it would say something about the "sports appearance group" Mine listed for $71.30. It also listed what it included:Wheel covers, Color-keyed racing mirrors, Non-funcional hood scoop, E78 x 14 4-P.R. wsw tires, colored tape stripe. If a dealer added the scoop I guess they could paint the boxed scoop, and cut the holes. or change the hood. I dont think the dealer would go to that much trouble to add the scoop on the lot. Not a money making proposition.

Don

·
Banned
925 Posts
Our 69 351W-2V Sportroof (purchased by my Dad new in late 69) had the turn signal scoop but I don't know if it was stated on the options list. That car was pretty plain Jane otherwise, definitely not a Mach 1.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Looking at the hood won't tell you anything. My son has a 69 SportsRoof that has a Mach I hood on it and I have a 69 convertible that came without a scoop. The inside of both hoods are identical. The vert has all the necessary holes to accommodate the turn signal harness and provide access to the lights as well as provisions for the hood pins. The cars could be ordered with the scoop from the factory and, I'm sure many people put them on the cars later after having a change of heart. BTW, the Mach I scoops were satin black to match the hood and the other cars had body colored scoops if so equipped.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
My SportsRoof was built in May and it has that spring package.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts