Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just rebuilt the entire braking system on my 66 Fast back. I installed a Wilwood M/C with a Proportioning valve, the valve comes with a brake pressure sensor. Instead of replacing the dreaded brake pedal switch I wired the brakes to the brake pressure sensor on the Proportioning valve. I am not real happy with the sensor because I like the brake lights to come on immediately and this sensor takes 60 psi before the sensor reacts. Thoughts on future problems because i bypassed the almost impossible to put on brake pedal switch?

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
meh. The TPMS are not worth the $ to replace on my 350Z - so I keep a tire gauge handy and check them...
So just keep an eye on brake fluid... ;)

·
Spammer Hammer
9,777 Posts
Confused...how is replacing the brake light switch almost impossible? It takes like 5 minutes...10 if you remove the drivers seat.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Confused...how is replacing the brake light switch almost impossible? It takes like 5 minutes...10 if you remove the drivers seat.
I cant get my fingers in there to put the nylon bushings and pin back in. Next time i take the seat out.

·
Super Moderator
10,036 Posts
Patrick’s pretty quick with seat removal and installation.

He pulls the seats, both, every time he gets new wiper blades,.....

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I can do it - but because I removed/installed/removed/installed the switch... ;)

·
Spammer Hammer
9,777 Posts
Word of advice...remove the seat. It’s four nuts.
Word of advice...put three layers of black electrical tape at the base of the switch between the tangs. Trim any excess out from around the tangs. Works every time.

·
Premium Member
12,029 Posts
I wired the brakes to the brake pressure sensor on the Proportioning valve. I am not real happy with the sensor because I like the brake lights to come on immediately and this sensor takes 60 psi before the sensor reacts.
Replace that "brake pressure sensor" with a '64.5 Mustang brake light pressure switch.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Replace that "brake pressure sensor" with a '64.5 Mustang brake light pressure switch.
Why is this better? I could not find the psi. The one I have is 60-100psi and I am assuming if I get one that is lower pressure it will engage the lights earlier when I depress the pedal, Am I correct?

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Why is this better? I could not find the psi. The one I have is 60-100psi and I am assuming if I get one that is lower pressure it will engage the lights earlier when I depress the pedal, Am I correct?
yep. the original factory switch is set too high pressure wise, lower pressure means the lights come on sooner.

·
Premium Member
12,029 Posts
The Ford hydraulic brake pressure switch has a very low PSI closure setting. All you have to do is to touch the brake pedal and the lights come on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts