Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to these cars I really know nothing my son really likes them. As a kid I always wanted one and a couple months ago my son started talking about how he wants this car to celebrate getting his full drivers license. He is graduating and going to business school so I decided to buy him one for his graduation as a surprise. I picked this up for 18k CAD. I tried to act like understood stuff about the car when purchasing but truthfully I know nothing about these older cars. The asking was 25k CAD but I brought the fella down. Anyway Im thinking this is a 289 but it has all this cobra stuff on it and I dont really know what that means. The seller gave me a full book filled with invoices and receipts over 40k spent on the car in the last 20 years. There are some other issues as well regarding alignment on the trunk and the drivers door but Im thinking its no big deal. The locks are pretty strange on all the doors (jittery, not very smooth, sometimes not locking or unlocking) and Im certain the truck doesn’t actually lock I tried a ton, so wondering how I’d go about fixing that. If you see any noticeable issues or problems let me know and if anyone knows how Id go about fixing the drivers door and window as well as trunk not locking and bad alignment let me know. Any tips would be appreciated as well. Please bear with me I’m a complete noob at all this.

·
Premium Member
15,050 Posts
Welcome to VMF.
Now is not the time to be asking if you got a good deal. You should have asked before buying it. The Cobra items are just "appearance" add-ons and don't make the engine anything other than a basic 289. The misalignment in the trunk lid appears to be major and will require some serious work. The window adjustment may be fairly easy.
I hope your son enjoys the car.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha okay thank you I would’ve definitely asked before I bought but I didn’t even know this place existed! 🤦‍♂️ I hope he likes it to. Yes The truck alignment was a bit concerning how much do you think a repair like that will run me?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nice looking car, it has some 1966 parts on it, grill is 66, fuel cap is 66, an the fuel pump is 66, that’s all I can tell from the pictures, but if your son wants a nice looking Mustang I think you did great.
Relicdog

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Haha okay thank you I would’ve definitely asked before I bought but I didn’t even know this place existed! 🤦‍♂️ I hope he likes it to. Yes The truck alignment was a bit concerning how much do you think a repair like that will run me?
I am sure he will enjoy it. Both you and he should keep in mind that this car is 55 years old. There will be things that break down on it from shear age. It appears to be in decent shape. From what I can see the interior is pretty good. This forum a great place for knowledge. If you every need help or an answer a quick search here or asking a question will generally point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am sure he will enjoy it. Both you and he should keep in mind that this car is 55 years old. There will be things that break down on it from shear age. It appears to be in decent shape. From what I can see the interior is pretty good. This forum a great place for knowledge. If you every need help or an answer a quick search here or asking a question will generally point you in the right direction.
Yes the interior is good and everything its very loud and fast so Im sure he will enjoy it haha. Only things that had me a little off was the trunk placement, that drivers side window, and the locks are all very difficult to unlock and lock. Thinking about taking it to a body shop and asking if they could just fix all those things or is that unrealistic?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just curious. What does the upper trunk frame look like with the trunk open? That is a big gap on the right side. What does the interior look like from the drivers door side? How does the engine & tranny run?

Tackle each task with care. Enjoy and learn from them. Get yourself a copy of 1965 Comet, Falcon, Fairlane and Mustang Shop Manual for starters. Perform searches on this forum for valuable links on your questions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just curious. What does the upper trunk frame look like with the trunk open? That is a big gap on the right side. What does the interior look like from the drivers door side? How does the engine & tranny run?

Tackle each task with care. Enjoy and learn from them. Get yourself a copy of 1965 Comet, Falcon, Fairlane and Mustang Shop Manual for starters. Perform searches on this forum for valuable links on your questions.
Engine and transmission are great tbh wasn't expecting it to ride this good. Ill take some pics of the inside truck and truck frame and interior from drivers side and send em here in a bit

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Nice looking car that probably just needs some sorting out. Hopefully you checked the usual rust spots and ran a magnet over the car, looking for filler. You should change the master cylinder to a modern dual pot. Address the safety items first. You’re a good dad!!

Reactions: opiummetal

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice looking car that probably just needs some sorting out. Hopefully you checked the usual rust spots and ran a magnet over the car, looking for filler. You should change the master cylinder to a modern dual pot. Address the safety items first. You’re a good dad!!
Not much rust on the car it looks good from that point I will check out the magnet think right now any specific spots i should run it? Saftey items yes I was planning on looking into it but not sure what to get other then a harness. Looking at a possible headrest as well but not very keen on installing it myself how much do you think it would run me to get headrests installed or like the whole interior refreshed with headrests.

·
Super Moderator
11,832 Posts
Those trunklid gaps are downright scary, I'd worry about the quality of the work of everything done.

It does look pretty though.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Reactions: opiummetal

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Those trunklid gaps are downright scary, I'd worry about the quality of the work of everything done.

It does look pretty though.

the guy gave me a binder filled with gas records of all premium gas, invoices for service, work done it, different parts, and all of that etc. This total is just the work as he said to “restore it to a turn key car” from 2003-2006 Car has around 91000 miles on it and when he got all this restoration stuff done it was 87,036 as stated so wasnt driven much after all this work.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.