Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, real quick, I don't know when my computer might shut itself down.

Ever since last night, my computer's been acting funny. I have DSL, and so when I log onto my computer after it's been off for a while, I am prompted to log on using my DSL to some weird IP. I click "Cancel" and then log on normally.

Now here's the WEIRD thing. My ctrl+alt+delete won't work... When I bring that menu up, it closes ITSELF automatically. ALSO, every once in a while, a thing will pop up that says, "You have 60 seconds to hsut down your computer. This process was initiated by NT/Authority/Processes." and there is NOTHING I can do about it.

Oh, loo, there it is.

It says

Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call service terminated unexpectedly. HELP!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
You have Windows XP right? If so you need to do a Windows update from the MS site...

Someone has scanned your computer IP or MAC address and is playing with you...

Also you need to run the most current McCafee virus files and clean what ever is there...Do this first then the update from MS....

Mel

·
Registered
643 Posts
I am getting that same 60 second countdown lately on my dad's computer. It gives the same message too. We are on regular dialup though, and we don't get that weird IP prompt you are getting. It's getting annoying because it shutdown twice while I was trying to read VMF just before. This started just recently too. Good luck. Justin

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Sometimes I really appreciate my old "steam powered" Win 98. It is not affected by this virus. According to what I read on the Microsoft site, a firewall would also prevent an attack. I run Zonealarm, and am not sure if it will protect against attack on the later Windows versions, but might be worth a try if your version doesn't have a built-in firewall.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I patched from the Windows website, and it looks to be OK so far.

I guess I should invest in a nice Norton Internet Security or something, but I'm 20 and I feel like I am invulnerable, lol.

I knew the VMF was the right place!

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
After closer review of this XP problem of automatic reboots it seems that there is a security flaw with MS OSes that are based on NR...(XP, Win 2K, NT...etc)..

Go to the MS site there is a security patch...

It seems to be the MS02-026 RPC Vulnerability exploit....

Get the patch and install it ASAP....

Mel

·
Registered
782 Posts
I had the same problem....I then downloaded the patch. Is that all you have to do?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Get a Firewall!! I had a Trojan Horse Virus and my firewall picked it up when it warned me that the program it was in tried to connect to the net. I use Zone Alarm Pro. Anyone with a DSL or Cable Modem connection is much more vulnerable to a Trojan Horse attack.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I work at gateway, and we had a hell of a day because of this. The fix we were handed said to install the patch(don't reboot), remove "windows auto update" "msblast.exe" from the registry, hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run
Of course if your not sure what your doing in the registry, then don't do it, you could really mess up windows.
After you delete the registry entry, hit ctrl+alt+del, go to task manager, click the processes tab, and end task on msblaster.exe. Then do a search on the hard drive for msblaster.exe and delete it...should be located in c:\winnt(or windows)\system32. Then restart the computer.

The easier way would be to update your antivirus program, install the patch, then run your antiviurs program to do all the deleting like above.

They were asking people to work over time tomorrow because they expect calls still to be comming in. Good thing this is the start of my weekend!

Matt

G

·
0 Posts
I am having the same problem but mine shuts down before I can run anything (virus scan, updates). I ws going to reformatt the hard drive and then update but I guess I'll try what everyone else suggested.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I got hit also. I was getting ready to reformat, and then decided to call my ISP for advice. They told me to set up a firewall, then go to the Microsoft website and get the patch. After that, go to the Symantec website and download the removal tool. It worked fine for me.

·
Registered
602 Posts
it helps that nobody wants to write a virus to attack 5% (being optimistic) of the worlds computers....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts