Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay all, please answer the question above in light of this info:

I took my 68 GTCS to a well-known reputable mustang restoration outfit.

It was a ground-up restoration. The car had been parked in a barn for 30 years, was covered, etc. floor pans cowl etc were fine, v. little rust, but some body work was needed. Got new crate motor, switched out the C4 for a 5sp, new suspension, new electric, new interior, etc. etc. paid approx $110K (cough) (roughly double what I was quoted btw, but that's another story).

Literally driving it home from the restoration guy and the reverse lights stop working (find out they were connected to the reverse light switch with **electrical tape**), the interior lights stop working, the frame mounted fuel injection making crazy noise, smell of gas is overpowering, front and rear windows leaking, trunk doesn't close right, doors/trunk lid/hood are not well fitted (one guy told me it looked like frankencar), temp gauge isn't working, fuel gauge isn't working, speedometer isn't working.

Post restoration, I take it to a mechanic to get licenced. It fails. On top of new guts for the gauges and speedo, I have to get new fuel line installed. Wind up getting an intank EFI when I'm told it's the better way to go and isn't much more expensive. switch out the new tank and new frame mount EFI. have to get $10 reverse light switch ($10 bucks!). new fuses. some rewiring b/c grounds came loose.

2 months later, electric fuel pump goes out and have to get RMA.

4 months later, I need new upper ball joints. I call the restoration guy about it and he says "ah, probably cheap parts".... wtf? He chose them and installed them!

So I ask: did I get screwed by this reputable well known mustang restoration outfit?

I just can't believe the car doesn't make me breakfast and iron my socks at this price point, let alone that it needs a new front end. Am I off base? So frustrated. Not sure what to do either. Advice? Just get over it and enjoy the car?

·
Dimples
3,523 Posts
I don’t know what to say except, yes. You got screwed. That kind of price tag on a car that didn’t need extensive rust repair is crazy. And even the cheapest ball joints should last longer than 4 months.

Not sure what to do from here. It’s a crappy situation all around.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
All that and you have to ask if you got screwed? YES without a doubt.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Yeah,

You got ripped... Big time... by about 60K too..

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Unfortunately I would agree-and I think I have to much in my coupe (65) and every nut and bolt, wire, is new- crate motor etc and its prob 25K including paint- and a company will need to make money- so double my number- maybe triple- (still you are at 75k and there should be minimal issues)- a good resto company wouldn't tape wires together (I bet few here would do that and fewer still would admit it)

I will say I have replaced ball joints more than once (various brands) and they do seem to be junk- lasting anywhere from 1k miles to 10k miles (both seem ridiculous to me) regardless of grease used

·
Registered
596 Posts
You got more than screwed I am sorry to say. The finest stock '68 GTCS in the world is worth something in the $55k range unless it is one of the three built with the 428 SCJ. Also, modifying what was a probably a pretty good and pretty stock one did not do the value any good.

The question now is, do you like the car? If so, get the remaining items sorted out and enjoy it. On the other hand, if you are going to get p****d off every time you enter your garage, sell it and put it all behind you.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
No offense meant, but after all of that if you have to ask.....

Unfortunately the answer is yes- painfully yes to boot. After that much money was spent, you should be contacting the BBB, your attorney, and possibly the police after robbery like that. I'm afraid that what you've found so far may only be the icing on the cake- what kind of shape is everything else actually in. If new parts failed in 4 months (and I can only assume very little miles as you can't even drive it), what else is going to fail in say the next 6? You claim them to be a 'well-known reputable mustang restoration outfit'- I'm going to say either that's a far cry from the truth, or there's WAY more to the story. You don't get anyway near 'well known as reputable' putting out work like that.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Call them out. Don't protect the name! You got hoodwinked! Scream bloody murder from the internet housetops!

I do hope you enjoy your cool car though. Ask them to make it right, drag their name through the mud if they don't. Then move on and drive that thing!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Completely agree - name and shame the bastards. I have a pretty mint 68 GT/CS and paid nowhere near what you got ripped for. It’s a shame that some restoration garages do that to people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
And that's why I do everything I can MYSELF. I know not everybody can, but it's mind of like having a house built. Spell it all out on paper and check up on the builder very often but irregularly.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Sorry to agree with everyone. But yeah you did. You could have bought 2 overpriced GT/CS's for that price. But tell us who it was who screwed you.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Buy why didn't you question things early on during the restoration. I can't believe you would just keep writing checks for them to continue with whatever portion of the car they were working on. Or why not go down in person to see their progress personally for the money you were puting out.

Something just doesn't sound right with this story and why no pics?

That car should have looked like it came off the show room floor for that much money and some bottles of champagne popping.

·
Registered
226 Posts
no you got a great deal. No worries, I can fix your problems for a mere 75K more. Did you need your lawn mowed, I can do that too for a mere $250 per week.... just sayin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts