Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a set of 8 small drill holes running along the tranny hump. They seem to be for a console. Since I don't have a console to measure the location points, maybe someone can help me out.

The forward-most set of drill holes are 8" forward of the tranny hole (forward edge).
The next set of holes are 5" back of the tranny hole (back edge)
The third set of holes are 12 3/8" back of the tranny hole (back edge)
The fourth set of holes are 22" back of the tranny hole (back edge).

The tranny hole is 4" long. that means that the length from forward most to rearmost holes are 5+4+22" or 31 inches long.

The spacing the holes (across the car) vary, but are approximately 4-5".

Opinions?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Sounds like you are correct. Dimensions sound about right. Console has a taper to it which would explain the 4-5" variance. If someone hasn't confirmed for sure by the time I get home I will measure mine and re-post. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
10,139 Posts
The early fastbacks had a console as standard equipment. When was yours built? Of course, yours always could have had an optional console removed.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I don't know..I'll check my console! HAHAHA My guess is you're right, you've had a console in the past. Personally, I think its one of the nicer options these cars had (I need the space to stash stuff).

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I've owned two extremely early fastbacks, both having some '64 trappings and neither of them originally had a console, so I'd question a console being std equipment, but you're the certified judge.

The forward bracket for the long console wasn't welded in, but held in place with two pan-head screws. The bracket was a 'Z'-bar shape (the vertical portion of the Z being truely vertical). Off the top of my head I'd say it attached approx 8 inches ahead of the shifter opening; basically under the bottom edge of the dash. those two holes would be near vertical, about 3 1/2-4 inches apart.

I was once told all cars came with the holes punched and upon putting a console in a '67 (yeah, yeah, diff yr..) it did have the holes there, but this poor old very original beast had not had a console previously. The holes were t-i-g-h-t, like a ... screw hole that had never been screwed (with)... well... I hope you know what I mean...

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know that consoles were not standard. To facilitate the consoles, I've heard that the tranny hump had the dimples for the holes, but no holes actually there. Charles Turner, where are you?

G

·
0 Posts
where did you hear that? i've seen dozens of early fastbacks without consoles

·
Registered
460 Posts
Consoles were only standard on the 66 Sprint package. My 65 fastback (build date 04J) never had a console and the transmission hump does not have dimples for a console. I have had the carpet out of three 66s an they didnt have dimples either.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I think I'll have to disagree with the console being standard equipment as well. I had a November 64 production fastback with no console, and no holes in the floor. As long as I've been in the hobby, I've never heard that one...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts