Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Would be advisible to block the heat crossover.... Clear powder coat would be more durable, IMO...

·
Registered
645 Posts
I left mine as is. It gets dirty pretty easily, but a quick spray of Simple Green and then a hose-down makes it look new again.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I was wondering what that was on my intake. The PO must have clear coated it, 'cause it's yellowed a bit.

Does this help preserve the intake?

wjj

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
For performance, a cooler, more dense fuel mixture is better... With the crossover, much quicker warmup in the cooler climates.
Blocked crossover will decrease your chances of vapor lock...

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
clearcoating your alum intake will defeat one of two purposes of getting an alum intake in the first place.......

the best way to go is to get the intake heat dispersant coated....
This will make the intake charge much denser and will avoid hot spots that blocking off of the crossover will create.....

This will also eliminate the vapor lock concern.

The cooler denser charge will up your horsepower as well....without compromising cooling capacity.

The heat disp coating is easy to clean, mild soap like simple green or hand soap....and a bit of rinse...

if you want to keep the project price cheap...use a lacquer based clear......it is alot more thermally transparent than are enamel based clears.....and wont affect the aluminum's ability to dissapate heat.

regards

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I think my felpro set had them, but they were just made out of gasket material. I didn't use them. If your heads have plugs blocking all the smog holes, is there any gasses being passed through the cross-over? Is it
just heat getting into the manifold, that we should be blocking?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
The guy that coated mine also said they had experienced yellowing, so they don't do it anymore. on mine, it was coated with an aluminum base, then a satin clear applied. So far I'm pleased and it wipes off easily. Sorry I don't have a better photo...but you get the gist.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/hotmc/Radiator/temp-sens.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts