Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned 4 or 5 Mustangs but have never gotten the color,engine and transmission or options I wanted on any of my cars. It seems that if I got the engine(390) I did not get the 4 speed tranny and got auto. If I got the right color for the car and correct transmission I did not get the engine or options I wanted.I am assuming that the cars are unmodified from the way they came from factory.
Have you guys/gals got your Mustang EXACTLY as you wanted it??

·
Registered
312 Posts
I haven't been here long, but it doesn't seem like anybody ever gets their car exactly how they want it. It's tough to hit a moving target.

G

·
0 Posts
Almost found one about a year ago... but it had had significant damage to the right rear of the car and I didn't want to inherit someone else's problems. '65 K code convertible, caspian blue with black interior.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
The last car I built hit EVERY single box on my checlist.

1967 Fastback
Full Shelby clone
427 Side Oiler
4spd
dual quads
fold down
4WDB
A/C
PS
8K Tac
140speedo
17" Shelby wheels
Red/black interior
Tinted glass
9" traction loc
Stainless exhaust
Rebuilt or new EVERYTHING!

It was a thrill to build it.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I don't think I could ever afford exactly the Mustang I want, at least insofar as it came from the factory ;)

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I got my '65 ('64 1/2) vert exactly as I wanted. I ordered it from the factory in May '64. ;)

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
It was a true "McQueen" car and to pass it up would have been a huge mistake so I'd have to say yes. There are others I'd love to own and they were perfect, but they've become way out of range financially.. :p

·
Registered
7,756 Posts
Yes! Although Air Conditioning was an option I would have taken if found but I bought my car because it was a rust free 67 390 Fastback, four speed and deluxe interior.

Now if it was an original Silver Frost car that would have been a bonus too!

On second thought, I guess I got dang close but hard to find EXACTLY what I wanted.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
That's kind of hard considering taste do change over time, also a realistically priced car. Excuding all boss and shelby cars.
As for me,yes I got the car that I wanted (with in reason) for years. A 1970 ,M code , sportsroof (non mach1), in calypso corral. The car also had the 3.50 N case rear, comp suspension, sport mirrors,console, polyglas tires, and one of the rarest regional promotions.
Yep, I'm very happy and it only took 9 years to find the right car.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Well, to tell the truth, it's not exactly what I wanted, but close, and the biggest thing,original and unmolested, it is definatly that. I geuss I'm a bit of a purist, cuz I'm obsessive about keeping the car original, only nos or oem parts, etc. I give major credit to the folks reviving the rusted out hulks , but I wanted a car with all original metal, interior, trim, etc, etc., and that's what I got. I would hace definatly liked a fastback[realistically I knew that wasn't going to happen], A-code, 4 speed...but,oh well....I have installed an a-code intake, and an 4100 carb, so things are progressing...... ;)

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Let's see:

Convertible - check.
1968 - check.
428CJ - check.
Red exterior - check.
Deluxe red interior - check.

Pretty damn close to how I would have ordered it from the factory. Boy did I get just stupid lucky.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Have you guys/gals got your Mustang EXACTLY as you wanted it??

To clarify something, I believe the original post is asking if we finally got our Mustang(s) in the condition that wanted, not did we get the Mustang that we always wanted. Two very different questions. Am I correct?

If so, I think we turned Red into something way beyond my original expetations. It runs and looks so good, I got bored and had to go and buy another major project, which I'll have no choice but to have it turn out better or equal to Red. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
If you changed the carb and intake it isn't original any more is it?!

John Harvey

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Mine IS just like I wanted, that's why I spent 9 yrs on the restoration. I think I spent the first year just researching and deciding how I wanted the car to look, handle, run, etc...

Now that the car has been on the road for a couple of years, I find minor things that I keep tweaking to make it better, it's still basically the same though.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Absolutely.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mine's pretty close. I was actually looking for a '68 coupe, and I picked up a '67. I was also hoping to find a fastback, but because of the price diffrence, and the quantity out there, I wasn't holding my breath.

I wasn't worried about the color or engine or things like that. I just wanted something to work on.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm getting there, body straight as a die, great gaps, beautiful paint, black interior with console and Lecarra black leather wrapped steering wheel. Installing complete power disc brakes set up in the spring, so only need TT2 wheels and a new steering box. Wait a minute, want to swap out the C4 for a T5 and beef up the front end, and let's see, oh yeah, rear discs and......... It may be a while yet, but I am getting there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts