Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been searching for months on doing the install and now i'm starting to get all the parts together. One thing I found is there is allot of differences.

I thought it would be good to see who had to shorten there drive shaft doing the install with what year T5, car and if they used the adapter plate or late model bell housing.

We may find some similarities.

So please post if you had to shorten or not and whats you setup

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
632 Posts
I installed a 1986 T-5 using the spacer plate in my 1965. I used a driveshaft from a 1967. I did not shorten it. I drove around with it for a couple of years with no problem's till eventually I swapped it out with a new driveshaft. For no other reason than that I just didn't want a two piece driveshaft anymore. When I had the new driveshaft made I had it shortened one inch.I just wanted that little extra cushion.

Marty.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've got a '66 that I swapped in a '89 T5. Used the late model bellhousing and did not have to shorten the driveshaft.

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
Most of the time the driveshaft can be used without modification. If you can install it, with the rear axle hanging (stands or lifts supporting the frame) then you are OK.

·
Registered
254 Posts
it was my understanding
that the driveshaft length
needs to be measured while
the car is off the jacks
and supporting it's own weight

this was because of the severe damage
that could occur from a big 'bump'
that could possibly damage
every drivetrain part from the
crankshaft of the engine to the 3rd member parts

perhaps this is the worst case senerio
and is exaggerated?

iowa

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I didn't on my 67. I did buy the "shorter yoke". The drive shaft was for a 67 C4.

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
When the axle is hanging all the way down, the driveshaft is all the way forward, into the trans. When weight is put on the axle, the yoke slides out of the trans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts