Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at the red 68 Shelby convertible clone that was on the auction site the other day for $44,000. Man, that is a nice, nice car. Now I'm no Shelby expert but this car was just about perfect. Perfect paint, perfect 428cj, all the correct interior parts, sounded low and mean, wow. If the real thing, I dunno, $75k+ I'm guessing.

Trouble is, it's a clone and it's such a nice clone that it would have to be trailered or it would get ruined. I talked with the guy at length about it's worth and I pretty much told him that $25k was about all it would bring, maybe $30. His argument was that the the original Sheby's are clones themselves and of course we're not buying that.
Next thing I know, he's telling me he's got a 65 vert and a 66 fastback that he's also cloning and expects to sell them for $40K also. To his credit, he's no trying to pass them off as real-of course once they leave here-who knows what will happen, but he seemed honorable. I told him that whoever it was doing the work could get all the resto work he wanted, just in the area. He wouldn't share the name. It's really too bad that you can't do a really perfect "clone" and be end up $10k to $15k upside down when finished.

At any rate, as I was leaving, he springs it on me that he's getting a divorce, (go figure), and that he's selling these cars to get ready for that. He as a 69 Cutlass thats a concourse car-$15K on the window, a 68 red convertible with a hipo motor (he says), with Shelby fiberglass and a few other goodies, mid$20's, and the Shelby Clone, plus a 69 Camaro Convertible that he says is a clone of one of 6 made or something like that.

I was shaking my head. This guy is either or fool or a genius, don't know which-OK he's probably not a genius.

J. Boggs

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Where did you find this guy!?

Mike

·
Registered
491 Posts
"Next thing I know, he's telling me he's got a 65 vert and a 66 fastback that he's also cloning and expects to sell them for $40K also."
What do you mean by this? Just wondering.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's working on two more cars-one to be a clone of the 65 Shelby convertible -there were 6 "real" ones made or something like that, and also a 66 Shelby clone.

The original convertibles are worth $200,000 or more I guess. He apparently thinks that these clones (and they one I saw was very well done) will bring some high dollars (more than he has in them). Unfortunately, he is in for a surprise I think.

J. Boggs

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
You did the best thing for both of you - walked away.

Does not surprise me that the guy's wife is hauling on him.....perhaps under the "greater fools" theory he'll actually sell some of those clones.

It's always touchy to tell someone the truth...As Mae West said " The truth shall set you free, but first it will you off"
I had a kid try to sell me his '66 I-6 coupe yesterday. It's solid, and he's done a lot of work to it (new floors etc) - but I hated to tell him that it's not worth the $8800 he's asking. Dickson

1 - 7 of 7 Posts