Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I painted my trunk and apparently I didn't use enough clearcoat because 1) It's very matte looking and 2) it has orange peel. However, I painted the trunk over a month ago (I haven't had time to get to it since), so everything on it is pretty dry on the surface. What should I do to fix it? I was thinking I could just wet sand the surface and put more clear on it, but what grit should I use? I used 400 grit when I wet sanded the primer, but I was told I should use something like 4000 on the clear. Or would I be better off DAing the whole thing down and doing it over again?

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Orange peel comes from 1) applying too dry, or 2) gun held too far away. I'll assume we're talking about Acrylic Urethane paint here. To repair, you should scuff with red scotchbrite pad or 600 grit, and reapply at LEAST two coats of clear. You never want to apply a single coat of clear. Put it on wet enough to shine, but not enough to make it run.

Wait no more than 48 hours before you colorsand it with 1500/2000 and buff, or it will be hard as a rock.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is color sanding required or is it optional? What does it do for the finish?

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
color sanding makes the paint flat with no orange peal look. If you want the paint to be smooth and shiney, yes you must wet sand and buff. Some of the newer clears I have tried come out as nice as factory without wet sanding and buffing but if you are trying to match a really smooth paint job you have to color sand and buff.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed you used the terms "wet sand" and "color sand" interchangeably? Are they the same thing other than the grit used and the point in the process at which you do them? In otherwords, would it be correct to say that wet sanding and color sanding are identical processes except for the fact that with wet sanding you usually use a much lower grit and you do it right after you prime whereas with color sanding you use a high grit and do it after you clear coat?

·
Registered
210 Posts
i1967Mustang - what brand of new clearcoats (and basecoats) are you using if I can ask, for I would like to get away from wetsanding and buffing but stiff have that look. Thanks.
--------------------------------------
My car '68 Sunlit gold J- Code vert

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you didn't put enough clear down and you sand through it to the base, you'll have to respray the base in that area. You should put 2 or 3 coats of clear on. If the surface is rough (organge peel) you'll need to start with a coarser sandpaper to smooth it out then work up to 2000 grit. Once its smooth, buff it with some mequiars fine cut and finish with swirl remover. It can be a lot of work if you get orange peel or dirt in it.
My web page

1 - 8 of 8 Posts