Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some trouble keeping my 67 stang running for more than about 5 secs. When I pull on the throttle linkage, plenty of fuel squirts into the carb throat. I've tightened everything down around the carb to aviod a vacuum leak. The only other thing I can think of is that the timing is off. It's been a while since it's ran and I didn't think timing could be thrown off. Is it possible to check it when the engine runs for only 4-5 secs...anyone have any suggestions or anything else I should consider??? thanks in advance.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
check the fuel filter. It screws into the carbuerator, before I replaced my gas tank...mine would clog up once every few days.

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I'll bet the only time the engine starts is when you pump the gas, squirting fuel out of the accelerator pump nozzles into the engine....the engine starts, burns up that fuel, then dies...

Engine and carb type please?

Me thinks you've got some chunkies in your idle and possibly intermediate circuit...

What happens if you hold the throttle halfway open after pumping it once and start the car.....? Does it still die?

Is the choke closing when cold starting the car?

Details please?
*G*

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

·
Registered
237 Posts
Another thing to check - if you have hyd lifters- make sure that they are not too tight - I had the same problem, once the engine hit it ran for a few seconds, thslifters pumped up and caused the valves stay open - thus, no compression and it would die.... Check the compression twice while cranking... If the readings are good for the first few cylinders the first time then drop to nothing the 2nd time, you have the rockers too tight.. If you don't have a compression tester, loosen the rocker arms about 1-2 turns and try again - if it runs good but ticks, tighten them unitl the engine starts to miss, loosen till it starts to tick (note the amount of travel from miss to tick) and set it in the middle - If you want to keep your engine clean while doing this, get a set of valve covers from the junk yard and cut a slot in the top so you can put a socket on the rocker arms.... Hope this helps.. Let us know either way.

1966 Candyapple red - A code ragtop

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the tips. I discovered one of the jets (nozzles) that squirts fuel into the throat wasn't working. when I opened the carb up to get at it, I found a nasty clog I couldn't jar loose. Tried cleaner, air, wire etc but none worked. it's an autolite 2100d 2v carb, does anyone know another solution to try or a parts dealer that sells just the nozzle/venturi assembly??? again thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts