Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have my 428CJ and transmission installed. I went to install the driveshaft and the slip yoke is all the way against the seal at the trans, with it installed on the rear diff yoke. I know the trans, bellhousing and driveshaft are all correct.

So I think the rear yoke is wrong, it measures 3 15/16" from the rear to the front edge of the yoke, or the center if you will, of the universal joint. There are no shocks on the car yet and it is on my lift in the air, so the rear is hanging down. But if you set it on the ground I think it will be worse.

Can someone measure their rear yoke on a 428, 4 spd., 31 spline, 9 ", N case and see what it measures??????

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Your SURE that driveshaft is correct?? I believe CJ rears had the bigger yoke with the big U-joint. Might have to have that driveshaft shortened a little. If the driveshaft came from a cobraJet Cougar,,it will be longer,,they had a longer wheelbase by a few inches.Just a thought,,and i might be way off base,,but i have seen it happen.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Nobody likes a smart aleck, Mike!!! ;) Actually, taking it to the body shop next Friday (fingers crossed).

I measured my yoke (on the car!), and I'm getting 3 1/2" to 3 5/8".

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ed,

I posted the latest pics on another post and a message for you. HA! Thanks for doing the measurement, together with others input I have determined I don't have a problem The guy that checked out the trans used a later rear seal, it looks like the top half of a balloon with a hole in it for the slip yoke. My yoke sits against that, but he said its not a problem since you are still a good inch from the tailshaft.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts