Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to every one.

I would like to know if it’s possible to see the difference between a 289 and a 302 (mounted on a 68 fastback) and where?

I’m asking because there is a dealer where I live that has a 68 fastback and he told me that it’s a “J” Code but I want to be sure.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Not really any difference you can see. Best bet is to look at the part numbers on the engine. Check out to see if they start with C8 being 68. Did you also check the VIN to make sure it is a J code. The 5th digit in the VIN should be a J if it is.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
You'd have to pull a valve cover and look at the head. 99% of all J code heads have "4V" stamped in the top of the head. All of them have "68" stamped in them. If it has anything else stamped on the heads, they are not J code heads.

The only difference between the J Code (4v 302) and the F code (2v 302) was the heads and the intake. The J code was a single year production only in the 1968 model year.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help.

The car didn’t arrive at the dealer so I didn’t check personally the vin.
He gave me the VIN and there is writing “J”, I’m just afraid that it isn’t a 302ci but a 289ci.

Where is the part number on the engine situated?

All I have to do is take down the valve cover, you mean the chromed cover in the pic?
If there is stamped 4V it should be a “J” 68?

Are there 289 4V engines(67/68)?

how do you attach a pic?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I would be more woried that it is the correct engine for the car. Whether it is a 289 or a 302 is not that big of a deal. In fact, there have been a lot of documented mix-ups in the '68 model year. 302 engines that actually had 289 internals etc. It is the crank/rods & pistons that make the difference. A 302 is nothing more that a stroked 289. The main advantage that I am aware of on the J code 68 302 is that is probably the best casting of factory 302 iron heads out there. I have also read that the J code rods were a bit better than later parts.

I am currently running a '68 Jcode 4v 302 in my '67 vert. I kept the original c-code 289 in storage, just in case I ever start caring about originality. :)

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
giacobbe said:
Thanks for the help.

The car didn’t arrive at the dealer so I didn’t check personally the vin.
He gave me the VIN and there is writing “J”, I’m just afraid that it isn’t a 302ci but a 289ci.

Where is the part number on the engine situated?

All I have to do is take down the valve cover, you mean the chromed cover in the pic?
If there is stamped 4V it should be a “J” 68?

Are there 289 4V engines(67/68)?
There are, indeed 4v 289s (A codes and K codes), but the only real difference between the A code and the 2v (C code) is the intake, and IIRC it had flat top pistons for more compresion. There are numerous differences in the K code (head, dampner, and some of the internals).

The only Windsor heads (260/289/302/351w) to have the "4V" cast into the top of the head is the '68 J code head, so if it it says "4V", it is definitely a J code head. The actual part number of the head will be on the bottom side, and is very difficult to read with the head installed, but can sometimes be read with a mirror. The part number and casting date of the block will be behind the starter.

Starting mid-year of '68, Ford started stamping partial VINs on the pad on the top of the block, just behind the intake. If you have a partial VIN, it would be quite easy to compare it back to the car's VIN to see if it was the original engine for that car. If it doesn't have the VIN, you can never tell for sure if it is original to the car.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Here's a picture of that area on my '69 302:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/1088000-1088999/1088674_38_full.jpg

Intake is at the top of the picture, the bellhousing is at the bottom. The code, if stamped here, is the year (9), assembly plant (K), and the sequential number, only the top half of which is visible on mine. I don't know if the flat vs. dished is a definite way to tell 302 vs. 289. Again, the difference is in the crank, rods, and pistons. Lots of "289" engines used "302" blocks in 1968.

I don't know what the 56114 is--anyone know?

Frank

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
No 4V 289's for 68. Only 2V's. Doesn't mean it has not been replaced in the past 40 years though. Intake will have a C8xx-6015-A/B number on the front runner. The carb if it has not been replaced will be an Autolite 4300 with either C8ZF-C on the tag if it is a manual, or C8ZF-D if it is an auto. If the engine tag is still on it the top row will read "302 C 68" but that is just held on by a bolt that holds nothing else so it is easily swapable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
can some one pleas tell me how to attach a image to this forum.

i feel quite stupid in asking this question.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
First,... the image needs to be placed on the web and not on your local hard drive..you can upload it to the VMF if you choose.

Second,.... the following format should be used...

place the web address to the image file here

done..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You have to excuse me but exactly were in the VMF web I’m supposed to put the image?
i can't find where to place it.

thanks

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
If you figure out how to post a pic...come teach me :) I just put'em on webshots and link it.

Robin

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Add your pictures here...
VMF Gallery: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/showgallery.php?fid/44/

Now to your 289/302 question.
The helpful folks have told your about identifying which block, heads, intake, balancer, etc that you have. BUT, in reality, NONE of that REALLY matters - it's mostly interchangeable between 289 & 302.

Can you GUARANTEE that in the past 40+ years, your engine has not been rebuilt, repaired, or modified? If not, that you simply CANNOT visually tell an external difference, as all externally identified parts CAN be interchanged / intermixed. Rebuilders commonly use 289 blocks to build 302's and vice-versa.

The find out if you have a 289 or 302 you need to either look at the casting marks on the crankshaft or measure the stroke. Simple as that. Anything else is just hints or clues, not definitive.

It REALLY does not matter if it's a 289 or 302 now, does it? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
giacobbe said:
Your right but the vin says it’s a “J” Code since i’m interested in originality i want to know if it is original.

Here is a link to some pics of the engine.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

What do you all think bout it?

thanks
There's very little that's left original in that engine compartment. The most important part of a J-code is the heads - the guys have already told you how to pull a valvecover to identify if they're still present.

I stand by my earlier statement - there's no way to positively tell what you have from the outside...

"...you simply CANNOT visually tell an external difference, as all externally identified parts CAN be interchanged / intermixed. Rebuilders commonly use 289 blocks to build 302's and vice-versa.

To find out if you have a 289 or 302 you need to either look at the casting marks on the crankshaft or measure the stroke. Simple as that. Anything else is just hints or clues, not definitive."

1 - 20 of 62 Posts