Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously they are different ratios, but what does that mean.

Which one would be easier to steer in a non-P/S setup.

Cheers,
Aaron

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
For manual steering the 19:1 ratio is used,
for power steering and GT's(manual & power)
the 16:1 is used. If you were to turn the
steering wheel all the way from the left to the
right (lock to lock) there is one extra turn
out of the 19:1 box versus the 16:1 box.
The 19:1 box would be easier to steer with
manual steering, most noticable at low speeds.

·
Registered
209 Posts
With your car, a light early-year Mustang, I wouldn't hesitate to use the 16:1 ratio. It will feel better on the road; it will make you feel like a man in the parking lot.

I had a quick-ratio box with the manual linkage in a much heavier car, a '66 Fairlane, which also had a 390 FE big block. It wasn't unmanageable.

Regards,
Joseph

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
The 16:1 box yields 4 turns of the steering
wheel lock-to-lock. (assuming regular pitman
and idler arms, not the Shelby quick steer kit)
If the Shelby arms are also on there, it's about
3 1/2 turns.
With the 19:1 box you're looking at 5 1/4 turns
lock-to-lock.

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
5 1/4? Good god. I was debating what rack to use in my future R&P and was bitching (to myself) that 3 lock to lock would be too much for me.. :lol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

At the moment I have P/S but want to get rid of it. Constant leaks, drain on the engine, de-clutter the engine bay etc.

If I was also to add the shelby idler and pitman arms, would that make it a little easier on the arms to turn? And would a roller idler make much of a difference?

TIA,
Aaron

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
He's saying the steering si quicker with the shelby add-ons, so that would make it more difficult to steer. The less revolutions of the steering wheel from lock to lock, the more difficult to turn.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I had P/S in the coupe. I removed it for the same reasons. My box is a 16:1 ratio. I used the manual steering adaptor from Mustangs Plus. When I'm moving on the road, the steering is great and gives a performance feel but when I am almost at a stand still - it will strengthen your arms.

In the conv, I have m/s with the 19:1 ratio box. Steering is a snap whether I'm moving or not. The only downfall to the 19:1 ratio is that it feels like I am oversteering to turn the car in a corner since I am used to the 16:1 in the coupe.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah.....gotcha

·
Registered
38,193 Posts
I have a 16:1 box with the quick steer and the only time it is a b---h is when parallel parking or other times when you turn without moving. Once the car starts to roll it's nooooo problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts