Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Holley 1850 and 80457? They have basically the same description but the 80457 is more expensive, is it worth it? It will be going on a slightly warmed up 289. I know I would need to rejet an 1850 and I assume the same for the 80457 but I don't kno wanything about that model.
Thanks
Mike

G

·
0 Posts
1850 manual choke 80457 electric choke. They are calibrated(jetted) differently. The 1850 is calib. for pre 64's the 80457 for 65-69. They are both 4160 carb so that means no sec metering jets,PITA, to tune the sec circuity you have to buy the sec metering block kit or a new sec metering plate These 2 carbs are economy entry level carb. I would advise against them. You should take a look at the 80145 it is a 4150 w/electric choke a much better carb

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
Either way you will have to rejet. However, the 80457 will be closer to your particular jet needs. The 1850 comes jetted (basically) for a 350 Chevy. The 1850 is truely a "universal" carb, and as such will require a significant amount of tuning. also, I believe the 80457 comes with the Ford kickdown linkage. If not, there is a Holley 4160 model that comes with the linkage.

I would second the idea that the secondary metering on a 4160 is difficult to tune, especially relative to a 4150. HOWEVER, you will likely not ever need to tune it, not on a street car. Trust me, after a couple of jet changes, you'll be in the "close enough" mindset. It's no fun spilling fuel all over your intake manifold.

The constant jet changes, and an incurrable bog, led me to replace my Holley with an Edelbrock. Granted, I still have to tune the Edelbrock, but it's peanuts compared to my Holley. I still have the Holley (1850-3), if you are interested send me an email. I have it tuned much more closely to a 289 setup than stock, but it's still not quite right.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
The 80457 is a holley I have some experience with (since I was eligible for the doofus award when I put mine on and left a vaccum leak!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif)

The 80457 is a holley "clean air carb". It's calibrated with a little more precision (the primary low speed bleeds are a tad bit smaller...actually all the bleeds are different), and it has an electric choke. I've had it on a bone stock motor for 6 months, and can say it runs very well.

The 1850 is a holley tuned entirely for performance from the factory....bearing in mind most engine/car setups could benefit from some tweaking (for example, a stock 390 I had liked 62's for the primaries and a BIGGGGGG accelerator pump shot!!)

I have an 1850 with electric choke and an 80457....I'll probably use the 1850 on the cleveland I'll be building soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts