Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a local body shop coming by to give me and estimate for paint. Car is a roller right now. He asked me over the phone if wanted show car. I plan on driving the car and probably will not see more than local cruise night. Just curious what the difference between show car paint and nice driver besides dollars.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
The body shop doing the job should be the one to tell you the difference. Hard for us to tell you what he is going to do on one or the other.

Reactions: Huntingky and rpm

·
Registered
177 Posts
Could mean just a good paint job with no buffing. It will have more orange peal in it than a show quality paint job What color are you going for

·
Premium Member
6,095 Posts
@Huskinhano yours would be a good candidate for a satin job. Still would have that all-business look.

·
Registered
585 Posts
My guess is the difference is preparation. Body gaps, straight panels, removal of parts instead of masking off. The paint is the easy part and may or may not include post polishing. depending on the process sanding before clearing is time consuming. Be prepared for "found work" rust, old body work, damaged panels.

·
Registered
527 Posts
My guess is that a show car will have a few more layers of base coat and maybe another layer of clear coat.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I got this done for close to 7k... that’s with me assembling it. It’s nice and I’m happy but it’s nowhere near "show car" there are some things here and there that I could definitely point out
3AB4BFAC-DB42-4856-9E1C-DC6118F821DF.jpeg

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Is the shop also doing the body work, or is all they have to do is paint it? If they have to do body work, I'd get them to spell out what they're going to do... and, as mentioned above, if they run into unforeseen issues it'll add up.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I got a deal at $2,600. Another shop wanted $10k + and wanted to strip the car and start from scratch. I did all the prep work and then hauled all the parts over to the paint shop. It went into the booth 3 times. White base coat, Red color, and then the clear. Then I had to assemble and paid a guy $600 to sand and polish. I used a guy the painter told me to, but later found out I should have done it myself and save the $600 as they do not work together and the painter did not cover any of the flaws that the sanding and polishing caused. No big deal for me, I corrected them and the other minor Bo-bo's that have happened since.

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
When I painted my '67 I set the quality standard by referring my painter back to a car he did for a friend. Essentially, I said, "I like the way that Bob's car came out". I told him "If you can replicate that level of quality I will be happy". To my surprise he told me "Hell, I can do better than that" and he did!!! By the time the cut and buff guy was through, my car was a lot closer to show quality than I expected. The paint was about 11 years old when this pic was taken:
DSC_9741.jpg

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Hey, your 69 looks like my cars big brother! I have seen quite a few decent paint jobs come out of places that looked iffy, best bet is referrals from cars the painter or shop has done before, and you taking it apart and doing as much prep work as possible, then tow it around to a couple of places to see what they may charge you. or if someone is willing to come out and look at the car, cool... Some of these guys will do side work, cash prices are sometimes better..it will vary wildly..its like getting an estimate to reroof your house...how can they all be so different!! .I did all the prep work and towed it to a shop on a Friday afternoon, the owner let his painter spray it as a side job that night and Saturday, while I paid for the materials and a small booth fee..everybody was happy, I pulled out the car and all the parts on Sunday...worked out just like 69GT350H's deal...not much more than that as well. Good materials are easy 1500 to 2500 nowadays.. Mine was painted back in 2011
DSCN7414.JPG IMGP0057.JPG

·
Registered
1967 GT500
1,356 Posts
I am guessing price difference is orange peel, post paint labor, and amount of block sanding, pre paint labor.

·
Registered
37,688 Posts
I would tell them I want it to look as good as it did when it was new. A typical "show car" finish is pretty much 1/4" of polyester (either sprayed high build or skimmed on with a squeegee) laid on the entire car and then block sanded so every panel is flat as a granite slab.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I used to work at a shop and we did show cars in addition to the gravy insurance work. This was 15 years ago so maybe they do it differently now but this is what I’m familiar with. In my experience, show cars usually got an additional poly primer coat prior to urethane primer to ensure everything is dead straight. Sometimes multiple urethane primer coats. And we would always fully cut and polish after painting so everything is like glass. I suspect the show car job will be much higher due to the ton of additional labor required. It’s really labor you’re paying for. Attention to detail = $$$$. But as many have indicated it’s best to have to actual shop tell you exactly what they intent to do for both options that way you can decide.

IMHO you don’t need to pay for a show car quality job unless you’re building a trailer queen or $ is no object. Or you’re putting in those hours and someone is just painting it. Honestly you can cut and polish yourself. It’s not that challenging but very time consuming. The only real risk is burning through to base coat. But just be careful around edges and you should be good.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
To a shop it might only be do they let their top dollar man that doesn't even need cut/buff afterwards with the best products or the relative newb with cheap guns and a bad eye do it?

But ya, i'll say the difference is close to $10K, depending, I thought about the difference between the two as I did my own.
How many re-coats of high build are you willing to sand into dust? How many slight low spots do you ignore or respray or when to start a panel over from scratch because...or do you fudge it? How small of a pin hole will show or be filled? How many hours do you mess with a trunk or door gap? Then the things no one can see till its done, how small of a flaw will you address and go back to blend in or re-spray a panel or think it only shows from that one angle or in the right light? How small of a nib or saggy spot in flake bothers you? And do you realize how high a freaking Mustang need to be jacked off the ground to get good coverage on the bottom rockers? Its pretty danged high for a spot only a mechanic on a lift will see!

Then after all that you drive it and realize a Mustang should have come OE with 4 wheel mud flaps!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
What kind of show? If you are looking at winning an AMBR easy $30k plus if you were paying that caliber of painter. A local show and shine you could get something under $10k. Differences are attention to detail, hundreds of hours of blocking, high quality materials and whatever technique the painter is using.

Hit @Huskinhano ‘s car with a good clear and that paint is ready to rock. That’s my kind of show. The “I drive the hell out of it all the time” show.

·
Registered
585 Posts
[QUOTEA typical "show car" finish is pretty much 1/4" of polyester ][/QUOTE]
I dont know about a 1/4 inch but the car is coated in it for sure.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
They're going to get the car laser straight with tons of blocking to remove waves, then after base, they're going to do several coats of a high solids clear, wet sand it with 600, then flow coat it with another several coats of clear. At which point they will spend hours cutting and buffing.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts