Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a red and white pony seats in my 66 Coupe. I have red door panels, but I think white would look better. However, in 66 the only color they have that is close is parchment.
Although my headline is also white, it is the same off white that the seats are. Is this close to the parchment color? Or should I just go with 65 door panels?

·
Premium Member
11,701 Posts
Parchement is NOT close to white. Not even a little bit.

I did the same thing in my car back when, and the parchement looked really bad compared to the white.

I wish I had both panels so I could show them to you side-by-side.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I would go with the white...the white is not pure white...it's an off-white, but parchment isn't white at all...it's a really light tan color. Parchment doesn't look as good with red as white does IMHO.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did the 66 standard interior not come in white at all? ::

Oh well, I guess I'll go with 65 door panels, it's not like the car is stock and only the true enthusiasts will know (like at the end of "Me, Myself and Eileen", when Jim Carey is driving the 65-66 'Vert Stang - no one was impressed when I pointed out the subtle discrepancies between the interior and exterior :().

G

·
0 Posts
Parchment is not too far from the color of my Palomino interior. Looks great with some colors, but certainly not red.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
In 65 AND 66, the deluxe interior tutone combos featured white, which was an off white as mentioned above. For example, Dawnann's 66 cv has blue and white pony interior. There is a 66 parchment which is a darkish tannish, old paper color. 67/8 parchment is closer to white but still not there. With the red and white, am assuming that the center panels in the seats are white. Given that, the dash pad,door metal, rear 1/4 trims, carpet, would be red. Door panels,kickpanels, lower dash, pillar, steering col, visors, headliner, windlace, console, would be white. The red and white was not orig and have wondered why. It is quite popular. Have seen the 66 dark red with parchment and it's not pretty-opinion. The kickpanels would also have red carpet on the lower part and the belts?? Probably could be either.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
I just looked through a catalog that I "happened" to have by my desk. The Deluxe (pony) interior had white door panels for both 65 and 66, the standard panels only list white in 65.

John Harvey

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hi, as the others have said use the white. But be very careful what they send you. Alot of the white door panels have a blue/gray tint(very bad dye lot) in them that did not match our interior white at all, not even in the same family of white(I'm not that picky). It took Nick and I a few months to find a close match to our blue and white seats and interior. So hold off and return a few before you settle on the first one they send you (unless of course its a match ;))I hope that helps, Dawn

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dare I even ask whether it would be a pipe dream to dye red panels white.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Not to sure on that one :(. Maybe if you put a primer on it first?? I think it would rub/scratch off over time though. Nick and I were going to dye the white/blue tint ones that they sent us if we couldnt find the correct color match. We used Laurel Mountian Mustang for our door pannels and he finally got the correct white color. You will find them, I just wanted you to know there was quite a few colors of pony white out there. The fun really begins when you install them :eek:. Let us know how you make out. Dawn

1 - 13 of 13 Posts