Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Manicmechanic007, what special tools? I used a press and snap ring pliers to overhaul mine. I don’t consider either of them special tools.
I’ve had several T5 Foxbody cars and never damaged one of them.
I’m putting a WC T5 in my current ‘70 project.
I had a C3 Vette for years with a Muncie. Similar setup as top loaders. Just as tough.
The one thing I always felt about that 4spd is, when can I shift to 5th.

·
Registered
69 Fastback 351W .030 over, mild cam, C4
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Chvet73-if I were to do the T5(would definitely like 5th gear), what would need to be done to ensure it would hold up to hard driving? I don’t exactly baby my car as far as driving it goes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I put in the steel cluster gear retainer. Do not use the billet aluminum one, They do not hold up. I also used a steel output shaft retainer. You want to be sure that you get a World Class trans. Last there is a heavy duty gear set. I did not get It. My car is a few months away from the road test. So I can’t say if everything is good. But at the moment I have an anemic 2bbl 302. So I’m sure the tranny will hold up for that. Engine will be the next phase. Right now I’m focused on suspension, steering and the trans. Just finished my new 1” drop front springs with roller perches and Koni shocks tonight.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I believe the tkx in a early mustang requires the welded in cross member under the tunnel to be removed and moved farther back to clear the transmission.

ken
I’m not sure if that’s true, I believe I’ve seen kits were a new crossmember is needed so it can bolt into the original locations.

·
Registered
1971 Mustang Mach 1 351 C 4 speed
70 Posts
Chvet73-if I were to do the T5(would definitely like 5th gear), what would need to be done to ensure it would hold up to hard driving? I don’t exactly baby my car as far as driving it goes.
What always breaks on them is the 3rd gear on the cluster gear, they also bend the forks when shifter hard. For it to live behind anything with more than 250-275 HP, you need to not power shift it. On a road race car, where you are not power shifting the transmission, they will live, again as long as there is not too much power behind the engine. If you are drag racing it, it will have a short life, that will be dependent on how much power the engine has. I lived the Mustang 5.0 craze in the mid 80's to late 90's. I had a Speed Shop back then and dozens and dozens of 5.0 Mustang customers. From my experience with them, I would not use them on anything that I intended to beat on. Now, the poster with the 302 2 barrel will be more than happy with it. Also remember that the 69-70 and especially the 71-73 Mustangs weigh more than a fox body Mustang, and that will impact how much work your transmission is doing. Not trying to dissuade anyone from using a T5, they are excellent transmissions in the correct application, but even the best T5's were only rated for 300 lbf⋅ft of torque, most were at or under 275 lbf⋅ft.

I would imagine that for most members that just take their car for the weekend cruise, or car show, and that the car is only pleasure driven, a T5, even behind a nice 351 with 350-400 HP will live for a long time, even if you once in a while do a run through the gears to redline. The issue is when you beat on them, you race the car and power shift it, it will break on you, the more power, the faster it will break...

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
It sounded to me that the welded in crossmember was in the way of the top of the transmission.
most of the lower bolt in 65-66 transmission supports move the parking brake arm lower and back farther.

happy thanksgiving to all
ken

21 - 35 of 35 Posts