Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need subframeconnectors for my 70' fast back, with I will be roadracing. I have 3 choices:
Plain old standard connectors, around $80
Global West connectors, around $145
Maier Racing connectors, around $250.

The GW's look sexy, but I don't know if they perform any better than the old standards. The Maiers are longer, but are more $$$, and I don't know if they would interfere with exhaust etc. Any opinions? TIA, Max

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I think maier claims their's are better since they connect to the subframes in more than just two locations. I just ordered a set of the gw's but havent put them on yet, I know alot of other people on here are pretty happy with them.

Alot of the 80$ ones I have seen (competition engineering, tin man etc.) I think are box instead of tublar. The only disadvantage I think to the box would be less torsional resistance than the tubular has.

I think 2bav8 and Lman have the comp. engineering ones on their car, (who both open track or autox), and are happy with them. You probably wouldnt see that much of a difference between box and tubular anyway and either way a set of connectors would help the car a good bit.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
I know you didn't list them as an option, but I asked Santa for a set from TCP with the center x member. Rumor is that they're on the way... ::

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I found things that I didn't like about each of them, so I made my own. It seems that the over the counter SFC are all made of thinner material than I would like to see supporting my frame. I also did not like the way most of them connected to the car. Kind of whimpy. And only one or two had any type of cross bracing. All of the above problems solved with my own design.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm anxious to hear (see) how you made your own subframe connectors!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts