Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference between a big and small block steering box as well as a difference between the ram and control valve?

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
well the sectors and ratio may differ but i belive the actual box core is the same

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
None. A power steering six cylinder and 428 got the same box.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Is there a difference between a big and small block steering box as well as a difference between the ram and control valve?
The sector size, and shaft length (all the external mounting area is same) is the only difference you will find in the steering boxes from 65-70.

The Big Block cars used same boxes (Physical Boxes) as the 6 cylinder cars 67-70.

I apoligize here--This is a edit. The 67's had 2 physical boxes. The 1" Box was machined different than the 1 1/8" box for the Bearings for the sector. Outside was same as we have discussed.

, Again differences were in sector size, Shaft length for 67 Cars. All Cars 68 69 70 Were 1 1/8" sector, short shaft.

The 67 Cars were both, then of course we get into PS (16/1), to Manual (19/1), Long Shaft, short shaft, Combination on 1" sector long shaft---Hell I'm getting Dizzy here.

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Cylinder was the same, PS hoses were different as the big block hoses ran under the motor mount.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts