Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its my understanding that there are a lot of different brake pedals out there. Some for manual, power, disc or drum brakes. Most of the changes look to be where the pushrod attaches to the pedal arm thus changing pedal ratio.

With so many of our cars having parts changed around on them how do you know what pedal you actually have? Say a guy buys a 65 with a nice shiney disc brake conversion but has problems getting his pedal high and hard. ASSuming all the other parts of the system are correct, how by looking or measuring the brake pedal can he tell if he has a power, drum or manual brake pedal?

Just wondered if anyone knew short of removing things and calculating the pedal ratio.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
First, in a '65/'66, there is no difference between a power brake pedal and a manual. They're all the same.

The '67 pedal is unique to that year, and will only fit in a '67. There is the manual pedal and the longer power pedal.

The '68-'70 pedal comes in both a manual pedal and the longer power pedal. These, however, will work in a '67 also. There is some debate over whether the '70 pedal differs from the '69. I'm not convinced, though, that it's a pedal difference, but instead, it's possibly just a difference in the mounting location of the booster on the power brake cars (the '69/'70 boosters are definitely different).

Of course in all of them they come in the manual transmission or power transmission flavor, but the only difference is the size of the pad area.

There's not much mistaking a power pedal for a manual one (talking the '67/later now). The power pedals are a good 2-3 inches longer.

Here's a couple pics of a '68-'70 power brake pedal next to a manual brake one. Click on the pictures for a larger version:

http://mach1.classic-mustang.net/Parts/manual_vs_power01s.jpg http://mach1.classic-mustang.net/Parts/manual_vs_power02s.jpg

Sorry, but I can't speak of the '71-'73. I just don't know enough about those cars to say.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts