Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is a pic of 2 different styles of lower control arms (LCA). The ones in the middle came of my 67, and the ones on the outside I bought of an auction site.

The LCAs off my car have a different taper than the auction LCAs. The auction LCAs have a consistent taper down the length of the arm, whereas the ones off my car taper quickly about 1/2 way down the arm then have a gentler taper down to the end bushing.

The LCAs off my car also have the jack eyelets underneath, and the auction LCAs do not have them.

Are these differences due to different model years or just the differences between original and reproductions?

Did both these styles come on 67's originally?

Where can I buy LCA's that are designed like originals?

I appreciate any comments on which style/brand LCA's to buy.

Thanks.

wjj

http://a9.cpimg.com/image/B7/16/11658679-c24e-028001E0-.jpg

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Concourse?...no

Freak?...no

Would I like my car to look original as possible?...yes

Is there something wrong with my question?

If I did want my car to be a concourse car, am I able to post here without being antagonized or intimidated?

By your response, I take it you don't know the answer to my question...so next time just don't respond.

wjj

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
That's not nice and not needed. I would be most unhappy if someone called me a freak because I did something different than he/she did.

Please keep comments like that to yourself. Remember, humor does not come across in text worth a darn.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Looking at your pics, I'd prefer to use the LCAs off your car rather than the ones you purchased!

I purchased the LCAs as part of a kit, provided by West Coast Classic Mustang, a few years back. They looked like identical replacements (jacking points and all) - I wanted good quality bearings and rod ends (Moog, if I remember correctly). That was my criteria. I think Scott Drake sells LCAs - find a person who will distribute Scott Drake parts and see what they say.

If I had it to do again, I'd spend the extra and get TCP suspension parts. I've their subframe connectors and am very happy with them, and their suspension parts are very beefy.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Have you compared yours to the Moog one sold at O'Reillys?
Bought some for my 66, but honestly didn't compare them.
Hope you have good luck located what you're looking for.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
the auction site ones look a lot like the ones i got from american pony for my 67, just painted differently (mine are totally black)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi 69GTconv
This information comes from a concourse freak, treehuggin', mustang owning,person that believes I should be able to ask a question on the forum as long as it is not about your wife, bank account, mistress, religion, or if you own a Chevy or Mopar. Try Virginia Classic Mustang. They supplied me with Moog lower control arms that are the style you are looking for. Think about that taper and initial wheel alignment.
jazzbo

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I'll find out on mine as soon as the front suspension kit from Laurel Mountain Mustang shows up. Mine are for a 65 mustang, so I can compare the originals to the repros. As long as the taper angle matches the original at the ball joint, the difference in the LCA stampings shouldn't matter. (?) My .02.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Bill - I'm planning on rebuilding my lower control arms for the sake of originality (they look identical to your originals). My local parts supplier says he can get LCA balljoints. In the end it will cost the same as a whole new arm with ball joint and bushings installed but i think it will be worth the work.

If your interested in just the lower ball joint, send me a note and I'll find out who his supplier is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts