Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna install 1970 power disc brakes onto my '69 Mustang. The '69 has factory drum brakes all around. Will I need a different brake pedal to do this conversion?

·
Registered
35,825 Posts
If you have manual now, and change to factory-type power, you'll need a power pedal. The pedal and booster were the same whether the brakes were disc or drum.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I'm gonna install 1970 power disc brakes onto my '69 Mustang. The '69 has factory drum brakes all around. Will I need a different brake pedal to do this conversion?
I'm assuming you mean to tranfer ALL the 70 Mustang Disc brakes to the 69.

If so, you will need to do ALL of it, the Booster/Master, and Most important the 70 pedal as well.

The 69 Pedal will not work. It is a Drum Pedal, actuates from a different pivot, has a different pin position.

Now to really complicate matters, the 69 Power Disc Pedal/Boosters are Different than the 70 Pedal and Booster.

As long as you change them year specific, all will work. 69 Booster/Pedal will work in a 70, Vice Versa.

Drum pedals will not work on factory boosters. If someone tells you, "Yes this booster will work with your Drum Pedal" it is a will fit/Will work/product that is not correct. Has incorrect leverage pressures.

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
35,825 Posts
After going to MustangSteve FAQ Brake pedals
for more info, I'm still a little confused. How do I tell what year my booster is (69 or 70)? Cause it will seem to take a different brake pedal for each one.
Correct. The 67-69 booster had a teardrop eye at the pedal end. The 70 had a straight eye. Naturally, the pin on the 70 pedal was slightly higher to match this. Don't mix them, if you force 69 and 70 parts together, assuming it works at all, it'll be quite unsafe.

The 67-69, and 70 boosters are now reproduced, as is the 67-69 pedal*, but the 70 is not.

*Actually, I think it's the 68-69 style, but of course fits 67.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Bob, do you currently have manual or power drum brakes?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts