Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of giving the brakes a cleanup, and I've got the calipers off. After noticing some nasty looking brown gunk come out of them, I noticed a few differences between the left and right hand calipers.

Pics are included showing the differences, as well as a couple of clips showing how difficult the discs make it to turn the wheels.

The difficulty in turning the wheels is the main reason why I have the calipers out.

-I was wondering why the calipers are different (to distinguish between left and right??) and if anyone knows what theyre off (original/granada/etc).

-What kind of options do I have as far as upgrading them goes without having to change spindles etc?

G

·
Those look like original '68 calipers, or service replacements. If Ford used the same exact caliper on both sides, you'd end up with one of the bleeder fittings pointing down. That would result in a huge air bubble that could not be purged, so the calipers are designed so that the bleeders on both sides point up.

As for upgrades, yes, that is possible. Vintage racing guys like the old Galaxie and T-Bird rotors (12", IIRC) and the large (and quite heavy) T-Bird 4-piston Kelsey Hayes calipers (like a larger version of the '65-'67 Mustang factory disc brake calipers). Then you've got more modern stuff from Baer, Wilwood, Brembo, Global West, Stainless Steel Brake Co, etc. - all lighter and prettier than the Ford factory parts, and more expensive, too.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The differences I noticed include
- the size of the opening on the top of the caliper is notably different
- there are quite different casting numbers on both (though both aparently fomoco)
- Green paint dots in the centre of both pistons
- Different depth pistons
- One piston had a flat base, the other was convex and textured (visible in pics)

G

·
Hmm... perhaps *one* is a "service replacement". Post the casting numbers, that might help explain the differences.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Wow. Those are stock 68 calipers? I did not realize that they stopped using the kelsey-hayes 4 piston setup in 67. Learn something new every day :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts