Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone knows the answer, I know you one of you guys will!

Will an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold fit under the hood of my '70 Mach 1 including the shaker assembly? The engine is a 351 W.

This is important because I have already bought the whole Performer RPM package and you know the drill, "you install it - you buy it".

THANKS!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Depends on the air cleaner you use, etc. Measure your current clearance (use play dough or clay on top of your air cleaner then slowly close hood to determine clearance). Measure the height of your current manifold from the manifold bolts to the base of the carburetor. Now measure the same height on the Performer. Calculate the difference and if its less than the thickness of the play dough, it will fit. Be sure to leave a margin for engine rock, etc.

G

·
0 Posts
You could aways just do a mock-up install, just setting the parts on the block but not bolting them down.
Just my two cents.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Okay. I see you have a shaker so I'm not sure how that differs from a regular type hood as far as clearances go. The Performer intake for a 351W is listed as a stock replacement. It measures 3.40" (back) and 4.75"(front). You can get this measurement by putting the intake on a flat surface with a straight edge across the carb mounting surface. Measure at the back of the manifold from the bottom of the straight edge to the flat surface (table top). Same method for the front.

The Performer RPM intake measurements are 4.30" and 5.30" respectively. The Edelbrock catalog says it will fit 64.5 to 1970 Mustang. Has no reference to shakers though.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
You could do like I did and go buy a shelby intake for a cleveland get it all together go and close the hood and just about rip the shaker seal or listen to the last poster. At least you had the common sense to think about that first.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, yes and no. I had the common sense to think about it AFTER I bought and had it delivered!

I am sure there is away around this even if there is a clearance issue. I have been thinking that maybe there is a different model that had a shorter base on the shaker assembly or perhaps there is an alternitive set of motor mounts that would drop it down.

Any thoughts????

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Personally I run a little bit of a spacer to make my shaker a little higher in relation to the hood. I think it looks better. The bottom of my shaker just under the top of the shaker ring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts