Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I recently decided to replace the differential shaft on my 1967 mustang. i'm doing brake conversion and decided to go 5 lug. I have no idea how to take the old shaft out. i have tried pulling it out with hammer, that didnt work. i opened the diff and still cant figure it out. i've posted the pics below on what i have done so far.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
Your axles are retained with C clips in a groove cut into the inner end of each axle. You mist remove a pin with a hex head, push the shaft out of the spider gears, then slide each axle inwards so you can get a magnet on the C clips and remove them. Then the axle will slide out. There should be plenty of videos on youtube showing how to do it.

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
Hello everyone! I recently decided to replace the differential shaft on my 1967 mustang. i'm doing brake conversion and decided to go 5 lug. I have no idea how to take the old shaft out. i have tried pulling it out with hammer, that didnt work. i opened the diff and still cant figure it out. i've posted the pics below on what i have done so far.
Holy cow! To remove the axle shafts, you simply need to remove the four nuts and t-bolts holding the drum brake backing plates, then they will slide out. What you've done is literally taken that axle apart to the point where it needs to be set up by a professional with the proper tools. You need to stop where you are and contact someone who knows how to do this work.

Your second step should be to purchase a factory shop manual.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/shop-manual-reprint-of-original-1967-mustang/138040?backurl=search/products?search_terms=shop%2Bmanual&top_parent=200001&year=1967&year=1967

Your axles are retained with C clips in a groove cut into the inner end of each axle. You mist remove a pin with a hex head, push the shaft out of the spider gears, then slide each axle inwards so you can get a magnet on the C clips and remove them. Then the axle will slide out. There should be plenty of videos on youtube showing how to do it.
Not sure where you're getting that from, he's working on a '67 7.5 rear axle, not a late model 7.5 / 8.8 etc

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
The way you have all that unbolted now, when you unbolt the bearing retainers and pull the axles the whole backend is likely to fall out in pieces. You may want to at least put a few bolts back in to hold the ring gear in there and bolt the side bearing caps back on. I would slide the outer races back on for that.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
I thought (C) clips is a Chebby thing?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
How are you converting to 5 lug? Are you taking the axles and drums and having them machined for a 5 lug pattern? I don't know where you are located but it might be easier at this point to source an 8 inch rear axle (or a 9) and just bolt the whole thing in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Holy cow! To remove the axle shafts, you simply need to remove the four nuts and t-bolts holding the drum brake backing plates, then they will slide out. What you've done is literally taken that axle apart to the point where it needs to be set up by a professional with the proper tools. You need to stop where you are and contact someone who knows how to do this work.

Your second step should be to purchase a factory shop manual.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/shop-manual-reprint-of-original-1967-mustang/138040?backurl=search/products?search_terms=shop%2Bmanual&top_parent=200001&year=1967&year=1967

Not sure where you're getting that from, he's working on a '67 7.5 rear axle, not a late model 7.5 / 8.8 etc
I tried that with the hammer from autozone. After hammering it for 5 minutes, it didnt move an inch. I was able to put back what i took off last night back together. So my best bet would be getting back to hammering again?

·
Registered
692 Posts
You removed the axles already? Once the axle is removed from each side the rear end should be able to be pulled out. 4 bolts hold the axle shaft on each side, look at the picture Macstang has.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You removed the axles already? Once the axle is removed from each side the rear end should be able to be pulled out. 4 bolts hold the axle shaft on each side, look at the picture Macstang has.
I cant remove the axles.i removed 4 bolts from the drum, then tried using hammer to pull it out. it doesnt wana come out.

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
I cant remove the axles.i removed 4 bolts from the drum, then tried using hammer to pull it out. it doesnt wana come out.
from the drum? The axle should have a hole in the flange to reach through with a socket to pull the nuts off the studs in the axle tube.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Like Scott said, there's a plate that holds the axle in on the 7.25" and you've got to take the nuts out through the hole in the plate. Hopefully this helps visualize it.

67-brake_axle.jpg

There are 4 to remove, obviously only 2 shown. Once you get those out the slide hammer will pull it right out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried that with the hammer from autozone. After hammering it for 5 minutes, it didnt move an inch. I was able to put back what i took off last night back together. So my best bet would be getting back to hammering again?
c'mon, is this a joke?
i wish i could say its a joke. unfortunately its not. i have done this to toyotas before. the shaft comes out with 3 or 4 hits. this one did not want to. I did take it for a drive after putting it back together and it runs fine. I'll be taking to the shop tomorrow to see what they do different.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts