Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother recently purchased a 68 gt 390 coupe. While working to get road ready i checked for posi rear end and sure enough it's a posi. here's the question, the unit is different than a trak-lok. the clutch pack has 5 ears on the metal pieces instead of 4. Also there's no springs or preload plate where the center block is. anyone know what this unit is called? and if so are the tabs on the metal plates in the clutch pack supposed to have a bend in them?

·
4,129 Posts
Sounds like the Equa-loc that I have spread out on my workbench, and no the tabs should not have a bend in them. Someone just posted that parts for the Equa-loc are not available, and it seems that I am missing a thrust washer. :( fd

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. will a thrust washer from an open rear work? Ive got some open rears i keep for parts.

·
4,129 Posts
I'm not sure either; I just realized that I was missing the part last night. I have had this unit for many years, and had someone else take it apart to check it out for me. Yes it was OK and it has been sitting in a box in pieces for years. I have an extra open carrier, but I am not sure if the thrust washer will work. I am going to try a local rear end shop, and see if they will give me a little help. fd

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
clutch packs are now available for the equa-loks. some guy on ehay sells them(expensive I might add) and I can get the clutch discs but not the steels. yes the thrust washer from an open rear should work as a replacement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts