Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've come across a California Special that I like and I'm thinking about buying. The only thing that turns me off is that it has no heater. It was originally purchased in Hawaii and optioned with a heater-delete configuration. Makes sense for Hawaii, but even in California it can get pretty cold.

How difficult and costly would it be to add a heater to such a car. I'm thinking it might be fairly straight-forward except for the installation of switches on the dash and corresponding wires/slider that open ducts and such.

Has anyone done this before that can give me a rough idea of what I'd be setting myself up for?

TIA

Landmissle

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
wow that a rare oddity imo. might want to leave it that way and see what the marti #'s are for that.
if you insist id say it would be your best bet to get a donor car and start swapping parts. prob wont be as hard as you think if you have all the parts you need at hand

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Yeah, I know that the heater-delete option is rare and unique. I'm sure a lot of folks would cringe at the idea of adding a heater too. But....having a heater would really add to the comfort of the car and expand the number of months I could drive the car; think chilly spring or fall days.

I am a little conflicted on the topic, but in the end, I want the car to drive on the weekends and enjoy.

The heater-delete option does show up on the Marti-report, so it's genuine.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
My brothers 69 convertible came with the heater delete too. He wants the heater put in it for obvious reasons here in Oregon.

·
Registered
35,867 Posts
You can get a complete new or used heater for a few hundred bucks, not a big deal. Glazier/Nolan or many other dealers should have this stuff on hand, since heater parts and complete assemblies are often needed for restorations. Since your car is a legit heater delete, you'll want to remove the control blank, firewall plate, and RH air vent, and carefully box them up, and store them, in case you ever go "pure show" or sell the car.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi,

Yeah, I know that the heater-delete option is rare and unique. I'm sure a lot of folks would cringe at the idea of adding a heater too. But....having a heater would really add to the comfort of the car and expand the number of months I could drive the car; think chilly spring or fall days.

I am a little conflicted on the topic, but in the end, I want the car to drive on the weekends and enjoy.

The heater-delete option does show up on the Marti-report, so it's genuine.
Rare and unique? I don't think so ;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't say that it was desirable nor that it added to the value of the car. Compared to the number of cars that did come with heaters; yeah, I would say it's rare, unique, unusual, etc.

What's your point other than sarcasm? Miss kicking puppies and kittens today?

Thank you for your insight.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I guess technically joful rider is correct. There was probably more than one built without a heater. Unique = one!

I'll bet it's pretty rare!

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
"How difficult and costly would it be to add a heater to such a car."

Pretty Cheap. Around $200-$300 tops if that..

Original parts such as the heater box are plentiful, and are availble in repro as well.

I say go for it.. You need to kit bash a '68 stang hardtop for your parts..

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
no heat isnt really a big deal imho. i drove mine with a busted heater core for 10 years b4 i decided to replace it.
no big deal as these cars are "usually"drven in nice weather anyway.

and even with the new HC the heat is marginal at best

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Another option, for about $1200 you can install aftermarket air conditioning and get both AC & heat.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I removed the HVAC box long ago to work on the passenger side toe board. That became a while you're at it so the unit stays out until I'm done refurbishing the case, flaps, seals and install a tested heater core and reworked condensor and assorted other parts! Nice thing about Wisconsin is we have 2 seasons: Winter and Summer! The Stang doesn't get out in winter.

Seems like Ca people expect summer year around!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Seems like Ca people expect summer year around!
To the contrary, we like winter. For about a week at a time, and usually involving things being strapped to our feet. Then we like driving home to summer and getting in the pool.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts