Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am swapping out a 3-speed to a 4-speed with a Hurst Competition Plus shifter. I have good instructions for installing both but, the shifter instructions are assuming the tranny is in the car. I want to install the shifter out of the car so I can make sure the rebuilt toploader is in good working condition. I am planning to:

1. Assemble tranny and shifter outside the car.
2. Get it everything to work correctly.
3. Remove all the shifter parts off the tranny.
4. Install tranny.
5. Install shifter again.

Is there anyway that I could speed of this process or anything else I should do?

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Leave the shifter on when you install the trans. All you need to do is pull the handle out of the shifter. Slide a thin, narrow piece of metal, (I use a cut down puddy knife, a thicker feeler gauge works too) between the LEFT SIDE of the handle and it's perch. Gently pull the handle out.
Now you can install the trans, then stick the handle back in once your done.
The mounting bolts are just a bit too long to install the shifter in the car, unless the rear of the trans is hanging down a bit. MUCH easier this other way. ::

·
4,128 Posts
I have good instructions for installing both but, the shifter instructions are assuming the tranny is in the car.
So? I guess that you could set the tranny on some sawhorses and crawl under it to install the shifter. :p

No No No do not do that, it could fall on your head and break the toploader. ::

No really that is a good idea to bolt it on before trying it from under the Mustang. You can get the linkage adjusted much easier that way. Then all that you have to do from under the Mustang is bolt it up. :: BTW I really love my Hurst Competition Plus shifter. I hope that you have something better for the backup lights. I just kinda "Mickey Moused" a bracket that has lasted for 28 years. :: fd

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
So? I guess that you could set the tranny on some sawhorses and crawl under it to install the shifter.
Or turn the toploader upside down and install the shifter while standing in an uncomfortable position, in a dark room.... Occasionally have someone throw dirt in your eyes... :p

Oh yea, telemarketers should call at least 5-6 times while you're doing this...

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Leave the shifter on when you install the trans. All you need to do is pull the handle out of the shifter. Slide a thin, narrow piece of metal, (I use a cut down puddy knife, a thicker feeler gauge works too) between the LEFT SIDE of the handle and it's perch. Gently pull the handle out.
Now you can install the trans, then stick the handle back in once your done.
That would be the best way, IF bullitman has an OEM Hurst Comp Plus. The aftermarket version has a one piece stick & shifter assembly.

Bullitman, you are on the right track. Install everything, get it adjusted so that it shifts properly out of the car. I usually install the white plastic adjusting pin, then unthread the two shifter mounting bolts from the adapter plate, pop the three linkage arm clips and bushings from the transmission shift levers and set it aside.

When you are ready to install the shifter, be sure to leave the tranny x-member off for more access. Allow the tranny to hang. Slide the shifter and rod assembly up into the car, catch the two shifter bolts and hook everything back up.... ::

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Good advise from these guys. Here are some more suggestions. Bolt your bell-housing to an engine stand and bolt your trans to it.
This will give you a good solid work station for adjusting the shifter. The only thing that works better is to bolt your bell to your shop wall.
If it's a factory Hurst just remove the handle and leave it on the trans as abadtb2 said and stab it after it’s adjusted.

That's the purpose of the removable handle. Fords better idea.
If it's an aftermarket Hurst, after you get it adjusted, unbolt the shift levers and tie them together with plastic ties so they can’t spin.
Now loosen the control box bolts and remove shifter completely until you have the trans back in the car and ready for shifter reinstallation. Leave the aluminmum adapter plate bolted on the trans.

First step of installing the aftermarket Hurst shifter is to first position the shifter using a standard duty magic wand.
Have the two big bolts that retain the shift control inserted in it when you place the shifter in position.
Now tighten them only finger tight.

Next clip the plastic ties and replace the shift levers. Tighten them all the way with a wrench.
Next insert a ¼ in Hurst tool into the shift control.
Now tighten the two big bolts and it should be in prefect adjustment.
If you don’t have a Hurst tool make one from ¼ inch cold roll.
Cut a piece 4 inches long and bend 1 & ½ inches of it to not quite a 90 degree angle. The slick end of short ¼ drill bit works OK if you can’t find cold roll. Email if I can help. [email protected]
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Funny, I am about to do this with my friend tonight, except with my T10 under his car. The procedure is like Hemikiller said. We will do that under the car. You need at least three hands, so a friend is needed.

Angle the shifter handle through the stick hole before you reinstall the shifter body to plate and raise the tranny to attach tranny crossmember.

Edit: Mark wrote that the shift levers could be unbolted and taped. I never tried that, I always tend to drop things so I have always played it safe. I guess we could try that now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts