Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a cruise-in over the weekend.
To shorten a long story, we were approached by the gentleman we bought KAOS from in 1996, hadn't seen him, nor he hadn't seen KAOS since 1997. He was glad to see we have taken care of the car, enjoy it, and even approved of our modifications.

He was at the show with his "new" 1966 GT350. We can buy it if we want it.
Man o man, what to do? We'd have to sell four from our stable to get it.
1965 K-code convertible
1964.5 Pace car coupe
1965 convertible
1970 Mach 1
He is in no hurry and would wait for us to do whatever we had to do. Price is fair, but not a bargain. Car is highly documented and restored in 1994.

I love the cars we now own. Really don't want to give them up, but restoring them would be a boat load of more cash that the Shelby doesn't need.

What to do?

http://www.imboc.com/phpBB/Uploads/1026074200.jpg

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
I'd keep the Pace Car and the Kcode 'vert. Those are fun, rare, and fun to drive. Not worth it, IMHO, just to get a Shelby. The Shelby will be locked up and rarely driven, and you'll be afraid to take it anywhere on a daily drive and park it somewhere.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
If you folks enjoy concourses and showing cars, a first year Shelby would put you into a small, unique and identifiable club. Bob could likely tell you all about how fun they are *G*...

I'm guessing asking is around 50-55K

Personally, if I had owned and enjoyed the cars you have (very few VMF'ers will ever be this fortunate), I'd jump at the chance...

Good luck!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Id keep the pace car and the k code vert but the others i would sell shelby is sure nice looking btw not to be rude what is the asking price??

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
My thoughts what would be you plans for Shelby if you got it, mostly shows in a trailer? drive to the show? how much driving would you do with the car? Looks like a nice car but to give up 4 for one I'm not sure that would be something I would want to do, your pace car and K=code are very desiable cars and perhaps over time willl have more value than the shelby.

I've nothing against owning a origianl shelby, but what you have to ask yourself is at what cost. If you will get enough enjoyment out of the shelby by all means go for it.

I guess also if you know the owner would wait perhaps look at other avenues to raise money for purchase and hold onto some of cars you have.

IMHO this is one of harder questions raised in quite some time I'm sure in the long run you will do whats right for you just take you time making it.

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
I'm probably the wrong one to provide input, as I'm a little biased. That being said, if the price is fair and not over the top, I'd jump at the chance. The thing about a Shelby is, they're rare and an absolute blast to drive. Consider it a driving bank account - you certainly won't get a better return on your money from a money market account these days.

If you'd like any input on pricing, etc., PM me. I'd be happy to learn more about that car - it looks very nice.

And, I don't agree with Midlife, DRIVE THE CAR!!!!! I plan on driving mine when I get it back together, that's for sure!!!! Sure, they're rare, but they were meant to be driven - furthermore, unless the car is a thoroughbred concours car, you don't really devalue it by driving it within reason. Besides, they can always be restored again ;-)

I say go for it.

-bob

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Well like Bob I'm a little bias so look at it like this [color:red]SHELBY---or NO shelby</font color=red> ,,I would say get it ,,They are a blast to drive and you will be envied by all,,Myself included
I drive my shelby and am in the process of finishing the engine(lowering compression)so I can more readily drive it on pump gas

·
Registered
680 Posts
For a chance at a Shelby like that one, it would be a tough decision....I would sell the newer GT and the Bullet. They can be replaced fairly easy. Then the (Gulp) '70 Mach1. Then one of the convertables.....Or 2 of the converts, and 2 newer Mustangs....No, wait, maybe.............
Sure am glad it is not a decision I have to make.....

G

·
0 Posts
Well.... here we go, me being the spoiler again. I'm not really a Shelby guy, been there, done that. From what I see the cars you already have are 9 kinds of cool! Trust me, when they're gone, they're missed forever! I'd stay where I was at.

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
That looks like a beauty, Joyce. I'd be sorely tempted to go for it if the restoration is as good close-up.

·
Registered
757 Posts
It seems the early 65-66 Shelby's are the "holy grail" of Mustangs. If the car is restored and the price is in line with other restored Shelbys, then you can proceed slowly, since you can buy restored 66 cars regularly if you are willing to pay the price. Recent no-sales on were in the mid 40's for Red, or Black. A white Hertz car had trouble getting to 36,000, and a re-list sale of a highly modified red car sold for a mere 23,000-24,000. The 66 cars are neat, I drive mine as much as possible, it is ratty, has scratches, has been abused all it's life, and it garners LOTS of attention at car shows...even as a rat. Good luck on your decision!!

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Joyce,
I would stay with what you already have. You have a broad spectrum of Mustangs & driving a different one each week would give a largew variety of COOL. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Keep the ones you have, they will be missed when they are gone.

·
Registered
391 Posts
It seems to me that this is something you were not looking for and only consider it because it is there. If it is not a bargain, and only the lust of the moment for reasons to purchase the Shelby, then this is most likely somthing that will own you. The 1965 K-code convertible, 1964.5 pace car coupe, and 1970 Mach-I make up a perfect collection. What is special about the 1965 convertible that compares to your other cars?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts