Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My backup lights are practically useless at night. Im using a standard 1142 bulb. Is there a better alternative?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes, there are LED lights that are brighter....search the forum and there are several vendors that sell them. Before you do that, I would check two things...first, check your lenses to make sure that they are clear and not cloudy...second, clean the inside of the light body so that it is shiny...you can spray it with silver paint or you can even line it with tin foil...but maybe your light isn't reflecting against anything. Good luck!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Also, make sure your backup lights have a good ground. The 1142s aren't super bright to begin with and need all the help they can get. When I redid mine on my 66, I buffed the inside of the unit and sprayed it with chrome rattle can paint and a coat of clear top coat.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Im going with the "check your grounding" camp, maybe even voltage at the housing.. 1142 Bulbs are listed @~260 lumens, adequate, about like a small flashlight when right.
If you shop for basic replacement LEDs check the lumen # and watch out for their length.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I do see that my lenses are milky so, I have ordered a pair. I will paint the inside of the housing as suggested too. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts