Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 66 Fastback back from getting an Alignment and having a Wilwood Master Cylinder put in. Now I have what seems to be dimmer brake lights and I really have to depress the brake pedal to get the Brake lights come on. I know there is a brake light switch on the pedal, is there anything I can do to get it to trigger earlier when depressing the pedal

·
Registered
980 Posts
Since the problem started with the new master cylinder, I’d check to make sure the brake light switch is installed correctly. No adjustment on the switches for our cars. If it’s installed correctly, I’d just replace the switch, but my money is on something screwy with the switch install.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'm guessing this has to do with the pushrod going to pedal. The shape of some of the aftermarket rods just doesn't depress the switch the same as the factory one. It is possible to bend the tabs of the switch to make it actuate sooner. You could also shim it out with something. I can't explain how this would make the lights more dim, but definitely could be delaying the depression of the switch.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I would check the voltage at the tail lights to see if you have a full 12 volts or not. The swith is simply a set of contacts that close. If you do not have 12V at the tail lights, check the voltage going in and then out of the switch to see if there is any resistance dropping the voltage. There should not be a voltage drop when the contacts are closed, 12V in and 12V out.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
The brake switch doesn't have anything to do with the intensity of your brake lights. It supplies 12 volts to the lamps. Look for a poor ground for your lights.

·
Registered
1967 GT500
1,359 Posts
To see if there is really a brightness issue, unplug the RT and then the LF tail lights. Hook up a jump box and put power to each side from box using negative from box. See if it's any brighter.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I installed LED tail lights! My old incandescents were fine except for being nearly invisible during the day. But I remember taking out my brake light switch to replace my master cylinder. It can be roughed up coming off and going on. If it’s very old this may be the point of failure. See if the shop will work with you or replace yourself.

Not a high dollar item. 25-30$ on NPD and they still sell Motorcraft OE. Only a slight pain due to being where it is 😉 Getting the pin out of the brake pedal to take it off was the hardest part. Unsure if you need to remove the whole pedal to do the switch alone. Check a shop manual.

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
An old Hot Rodders Trick is to dump the #1157 bulbs and swap them out for #2357 Bulbs. The #2357 bulbs are 40% brighter!....No need to buy LEDs....!

Reactions: fbovi1
1 - 8 of 8 Posts