Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile back I posted a question about dim dash lights on my 73. I got some good help from you guy's. In my quest, I think I found the answer. Yes its a good idea to take your cluster apart and paint every reflective surface flat white.But as far as those blue ,light deflecters Ford put in there, throw them away. Go to your neighborhood auto parts house and get some colored bulb sleeves.The aftermarket guage manufacturers sell them( VDO,Autometer,Stuart Warner, and the like). They come in Red or Green. Slide them over the bulbs in your cluster and put it back in the car. You will see a 500% increase in dash light. I've got to turn my headlight rehostat down to about 1/2 level.And as near as I can tell(from my street rod) they make no difference in bulb life. It sure is nice to see my guages again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the color is apparant. I went with the green,trying to get as close to a stock look as I could. The red would make a neat more modern look too though. Try them both, they only cost about a buck a piece. If you can't find them, email me and I'll give you part numbers.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
About a month ago I pulled the instrument cluster out of my 73. I replaced all the bulbs and cleaned all the contacts with electric contact cleaner. I got rid of the blue bubble things, too. My dash lights are still not as bright as I would have expected, but at least I can read them at night now. If I pull the cluster out again, I may try your suggestion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you pulled off the covers and your lights are still dim, I'd look at your headlight switch too.They should be REAL bright without those covers

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Yeah, you are probably right. I tried spraying the switch with the contact cleaner, but did not remove it from the dash. I may try removing it to clean it better. There's not much more that could be wrong with the dash light other than the switch.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,751 Posts
Scott Drake is now making repro light diffusers in blue and red if you want to try and improve instrument lighting with either of those colors.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got mine from Barnett Performance in Atlanta Ga.(www.barnettperformance.com ) They don't stock many of them. Another source is Price Petrea (706)485 4469 in Eatonton Ga. Price sells Stewart Warner guages and has for years. He's a neat hot rodder too.I think Price gets $1.30 each for them but his turnaround is quick and he has plenty in stock. Also, you can buy 1 or 100(Barnett sells in lots of 3)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts