Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has run into the problem with dim dash lights on a 65 Mustang? I replaced the bulbs with bright white LEDs. That only helped a little. At night I can barely see the fuel gauge. I have the adjustment on the headlight switch all the way up any more and the courtesy lights come on. Anyone have a solution the brighten up the instruments at night?

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I think you would be better off with the incandescent bulbs than the LEDs. The LEDs do not illuminate evenly and create shadowed spots on the cluster.

I have the stock bulbs but have a 100 amp alternator. I don't have an issue with dim gauges or any other lights for that matter.

What alternator do you currently have, is it the stock 60 amp one?

·
Premium Member
13,184 Posts
the rheostat on your headlight switch might be corroded. That could cause dim lights.

Z.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I agree with the corroded headlight switch. Mind were the same way while I had my cluster out I replaced all the bulbs with regular bulbs. Switch was a mess I replaced with another used one I had. Now they are nice and bright.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Gray - are you saying you had LED's and went back to regular incandescents?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I have to strongly disagree about the LED vs. incandescent. I've driven about 25 different Mustangs over the years and the incandescent brightness pales in comparison to my LEDs. There are different brightness of LEDs and I bought the brightest ones.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you would be better off with the incandescent bulbs than the LEDs. The LEDs do not illuminate evenly and create shadowed spots on the cluster.

I have the stock bulbs but have a 100 amp alternator. I don't have an issue with dim gauges or any other lights for that matter.

What alternator do you currently have, is it the stock 60 amp one?
I have a generator. It's an early 65, 64 1/2.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the rheostat on your headlight switch might be corroded. That could cause dim lights.

Z.
I have a new headlight switch in a box on a shelf in my garage, I got from NAPA. I'll swap them out and see if it makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
I simply took the blue covers off both of mine and installed new head light switches in both cars and made a world of difference.

Dave

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Gray - are you saying you had LED's and went back to regular incandescents?
No my bulbs were probably the original bulbs so while I had the cluster out I just went ahead and replaced them. And two of them were already shot.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My 64 1/2 is fine with plenty of "stock" light and the rheostat works fine from bright to no light.

GB

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I have a generator. It's an early 65, 64 1/2.
Having a generator could result in dim lights. Are all the lights on the car dim? Most of these cars didn't have very bright lights to begin with.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I have to strongly disagree about the LED vs. incandescent. I've driven about 25 different Mustangs over the years and the incandescent brightness pales in comparison to my LEDs. There are different brightness of LEDs and I bought the brightest ones.
Every car or truck I have seen that had LEDs was either less bright all together or it had bright spots with shadows. They don't illuminate evenly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts