Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my car has always done this, and since today seems a bit slower than usual, and a couple of other posts reminded me of this, I figure I'll ask...

My '65 coupe has, ahem, "custom" wiring in it, so I know that's the source of this problem. I just don't know where to look in the circuit. And first of all, my halogen headlights are VERY dim, which might or might not be a related problem.

Here it is: when just my low beams are on, my "highbeam"/dimmer light is illuminated. Always. When I click over to the highbeams, the dimmer light in the dash gets BRIGHTER. I didn't ask for this dimming highbeam indicator option, but I have it.

That said, I have replaced the headlight switch and the dimmer switch, so it's something in the wiring. The "Custom" wiring starts at the firewall plug, and runs throughout the engine bay.

What I need to know is, which side of the dimmer switch is this voltage leak on? The "cabin" side, or the "headlight" side. IOW, if the highbeam and low beam are somehow shorted to each other near the bulb, will it "feedback" and light up the dash? Anybody have any insight?

BTW, I have the schematic, not much help tracking this down.

·
Registered
21,084 Posts
I think you have a poor ground someplace and it's back feeding the high beam indicator looking for a ground...at least that's where I'd start looking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts