Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m converting a 302 from rear to front sump and need to plug up the side dip stick hole. I have read about using a wood dowel and was wondering if I could use JB-weld or simply put a short nut and bolt with some red thread locker. Assuming the nut doesn’t come off I don’t see why the nut and bolt wouldn’t work. Anyone have a tried and true solution?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
You can use a 3/8" bolt and grind the threads down just a bit and hammer it in gently. Some RTV on the top helps.

I have a bullet casing in the block of the 302 in my FFR Cobra to block off the hole. I think it might be a .30 cal. I don't remember for sure...another guy gave me the bullet casing and told me it works great. I put a bit of sealer on it and it's perfect.

I also read that a 9mm shell casing works.

·
Registered
97 Posts
We used a 38 special casing on my father-in-law's and it worked great... 9mm should work too since it is so close in size to 38(.355 vs .357).

·
Registered
35,306 Posts
Good Lord. How about just doing it right? Tap an oil galley plug into the hole. Racers would thread the hole and use an NPT plug.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I know that it may not be the "right way", but I don't see how using a brass bullet casing as a friction fit plug is all that different than using brass core plugs that are also friction fit plugs.
We're just plugging a dipstick hole... we're not talking about a lot of pressure.

·
Registered
35,306 Posts
I know that it may not be the "right way", but I don't see how using a brass bullet casing as a friction fit plug is all that different than using brass core plugs that are also friction fit plugs.
We're just plugging a dipstick hole... we're not talking about a lot of pressure.
Well, the oil galley plug is steel, not brass, has a rounded tip to make starting easy and clean, and the steel is about ten times as thick as a bullet casing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts