Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a book today on How to restore your classic musclecar and in it they told how to dip small and large parts in semi-gloss black paint to duplicate the factory process. I've done this myself on smaller parts but they told how to do it for larger, longer parts without having to buy a 5 gallon bucket of paint. They fill the bucket or whatever container that they are using with water, then they pour enough paint onto the surface to give 1 or 2 inches of depth. Then they just dip the parts into the water and as they pull them out the black paint sticks to the piece. Never thought of this myself, just seems like it would be inviting rust or bubbles later on down the line, but they swear by it. Anybody out there done this? Of course you have to use an oil based paint so it won't mix with the water. Just thought I'd share the info and I'm gonna give it a try!

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
If the paint sticks should work. I’m curious how the oil paint is going to stick on a wet piece of metal. Be sure to post the results.

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
If the paint sticks should work. I’m curious how the oil paint is going to stick on a wet piece of metal. Be sure to post the results.
Just like oil, the paint floats on the surface of the water. With 2" of paint on the surface, the part will be fully coated with paint before it ever hits water.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I remember doing that with model cars years ago. Never thought of doing it with real car parts though.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I see. Didnot think it through. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Just like oil, the paint floats on the surface of the water. With 2" of paint on the surface, the part will be fully coated with paint before it ever hits water.
um if the part is over 2" long, wouldn't it hit water?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
um if the part is over 2" long, wouldn't it hit water?
he's saying it has already gone through the 2" of paint before if even hits the water.

i think this is a great idea, never thought of it before

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I GET IT!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Now this is what a forum should always be about. Helpful hints and good ideas.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Somebody needs to do this.

And let us know how it works...

Probably shouldn't use water based paint though.

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
Good idea. Let me drill the holes in it. This is great if you are only going to show it MCA only. They know it's normal. But, the ISCA judgees, and the ones at the local car shows are only looking for smooth application, nothing less. So now what do you do?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I just tried this with the jack handles that I have been working on and I gotta tell ya', dis is da chit!! Instead of pouring enough paint to fill a 15 inch long piece of 3 inch PVC pipe I just filled it to about an inch or less shy of my mark and then added about a half inch of paint. Dipped the parts and they came out GREAT!! This will make parts dipping much easier and economical, especially for larger parts like control arms and other suspension pieces that were dipped. Hope someone can put this tip to good use.

·
Registered
405 Posts
We paint hockey sticks that way. I work for Bauer/Nike and on a factory tour I saw them doing it in a 6ft deep bath in the floor with only a few inches of paint. The wood never got wet because the paint protects it.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Don't know what paint he used but it seems like Rustoleum enamel would work well for this.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The paint I'm using is from our local auto paint dealer. Its a ready to shoot oil based enamel that is a copy of the GM Chassis Black that is no longer available from GM.

·
Registered
682 Posts
so now the questions is: after your done dipping the car part or what ever your dipping... how do you get the water and paint seperated to store it???

military_stang
:track:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried this painting method-didn't work, having hard time finding oil based paint lighter than water. any sugestions

1 - 20 of 28 Posts