Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm not sure the paint has to be lighter per say. I dealt with an blown engine and when I pulled the oil pain drain plug water came out first and then the oil. So, this should hold true for oil based paint. Meaning the oil based paint "should" sit on top of the water as engine oil sits on top of water in a blown motor.

Just a theory... I have no experience with oil based paint and water.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
For those who have tried this, how smooth does it finish out?
When this was done back then they weren't concerned about a nice smooth finish. If you look at the underside of an original vintage Mustang you'll see drips and runs. As the car went down the line a bunch of paint was sprayed underneath. Didn't worry about drips and runs.

If your resto look smooth and purdy underneath it's not like new!!

P

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure the paint has to be lighter per say. I dealt with an blown engine and when I pulled the oil pain drain plug water came out first and then the oil. So, this should hold true for oil based paint. Meaning the oil based paint "should" sit on top of the water as engine oil sits on top of water in a blown motor.

Just a theory... I have no experience with oil based paint and water.
It sits on the water because oil and gasoline are lighter than water. Water is 8lbs per gallon, gas is about 6 and change, if I remember correctly. Oil is lighter as well.

·
Registered
946 Posts
My oldest daughter does the same with nail polish. I never thought about paint...

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Some of the Hydrodipping videos are really amazing. It’s incredible the patterns they can get.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts