Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put the new motor in about 6mo ago I swapped the dipstick over from the old motor. Dipstick was faily new..I checked the part number and it was correct for a 289/302.
Since the motor install I have changed the oil 3xs and each time knowing for sure I put 5qrts in but the stick still reads in the middle "add" part.

Any ideas!?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I have the same problem, except it reads three quarts low. but I went from a 302 to a 351 and used the same dipstick.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
The dip stick tube may have been a different length if you did not keep the same one. If you used the same one, was it in the same position and depth when installed in the hole. As long as you know how to read it, I would not worry. Mine reads about 1/4" above full with a fresh oil change and I know where 1 qt. low is at also. Nobody pulls the stick but me so it is no problem.

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same tube from the old motor. I'm thinking maybe it wasn't inserted into the new motor the same way. I'll have to take a look at it. However, like you said as long as I know where it reads when full I should be fine.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I had the same thing, always read 1 qt low, when I swapped motors a while back (4 yrs ago).
Recently I was futzing around and I wiggled the tube, when to my surprise it just came out, real EASY
I checked the tube out real well around the insertion point, It had lots of hard gunk attached under the seating ring. So I cleaned it up, Put it back in the hole and slid a small socket over the top and tapped it with a hammer until it seated.
Now the stick reads apprx 1/4 qt down, when its freshly filled with 5 qts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts